Wickster

Make "Cycle Selection Box / Reset Bounding Box" Stick

Can we have the option to make the Cycle Selection Box/Reset Bounding Box stick, or be permanent?

As of now, Designer lets you reset the bounding box via the Cycle Selection Box button. However, when you click out of the object and then click back to it, the bounding box returns to it's non-rectangular shape. Can we make the rectangular shaped bounding box stick, so that even re-selecting the object will retain the bounding box reset.

It could be reset permanently, losing the old transformed bounding box. Or switchable, when the button is on every bounding box is rectangular and when the button is off, everything retains its transformed bounding box.

For example, when you skew a square and then rotate it, you end up with an odd shaped transformation/bounding box. Which then makes it awkward to align. It also, sometimes, creates a weird space on grouped objects.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

bound.jpg

Hey Wickster,

I can't really see any negatives with making it sticky but I'll admit I don't use this button very often. Unless someone can say otherwise, I'm happy to put in an improvement request. 

The problem with this is that the resetting of the bounding box is only done for editing purposes (e.g. rotate the image, then reset the bounding box, then scale horizontally). When resetting the bounding box, it doesn't actually affect the bounds of the object.

It does affect the bounds in some way. Attached is one of the examples where it affects the bounding box of a group. To replicate it, unskew an italic text by skewing it (or create a parallelogram and then skew it to be square) and you will see that it keeps its old bounding box, even though there isn't part of the object in that space. I hope this better explains it.

bound2.jpg

The problem with this is that the resetting of the bounding box is only done for editing purposes (e.g. rotate the image, then reset the bounding box, then scale horizontally).

??

Begging your pardon, Mark, but quite often my purposes for resetting a bounding box is to permanently reorient the selection to its current state. I dare say you'll have the same argument  with decades of Illustrator users, because that program's Reset Bounding Box command is used all the time and it is only permanent; it can't be "restored" to the orientation in which the object was originally created (unless, of course, you reverse the transformation(s) performed and then Reset Bounding Box again).

The "extra space" bounds which Wickster illustrates is also a stumbling block, (and I don't mean in the context of live text).

Yes, I appreciate that Affinity is able to "remember" its untransformed orientation. But it's just as common to need the object to forget its original orientation, and thereafter treat its new orientation as normal.

JET

I think that a permanent reset bounding box option is essential for anyone using Affinity Designer. Based on my prior experience with Adobe Illustrator, a permanent reset bounding box is a valuable tool for an efficient workflow. It's convenient to have the option of a non-permanent reset bounding box for vector shapes that need it, but most of the time we NEED a permanent reset bounding box.