You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sketch measure plugin alike feature

• Staff

Hi Aaron Martin :)

Unfortunately there's no direct feature like this in Affinity Designer currently, but it's been requested before on our forums. You can use the Transform Studio to see the dimensions of any object selected, or alternatively hold the CTRL/CMD key with an object selected and you'll see measurements on the canvas between objects etc. I hope this helps! 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

20 minutes ago, Aaron Martin said:

Yes. Viewing the measurements are not the problem. Inputting them individually for drafts, blueprints or UI is a hassle. 

Wouldn't a program better suited to what you want to do, like a CAD program be better and then refine and tweak in Affinity afterwards?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Wouldn't a program better suited to what you want to do, like a CAD program be better and then refine and tweak in Affinity afterwards?

Only in some cases, yes. I used affinity for many things so far and i think this feature could be used in UI designs to show the px alignments, for packaging, branding, 2D product design etc. although the document can be sized accurately, but u still have to manually write them down. Same thing for blueprints. You can spend extra to have another app do that but i dont think switching applications with different file format is a great user experience. 

6 hours ago, Aaron Martin said:

Only in some cases, yes. I used affinity for many things so far and i think this feature could be used in UI designs to show the px alignments, for packaging, branding, 2D product design etc. although the document can be sized accurately, but u still have to manually write them down. Same thing for blueprints. You can spend extra to have another app do that but i dont think switching applications with different file format is a great user experience. 

I agree, an editable measurements feature would be a great boon to Affinity. I don't know if a feature request has already been started but if not I would certainly start one. I would certainly add my support for such a feature.

There is an app called FreeCad: https://www.freecadweb.org Not the easiest app to use and a bit clunky. Personally the best CAD app I've used was Autodesk Inventor, I'm not saying it is the best just that I found it easy to use.

Blender, the 3D app has a plugin called "Measure It" although I think it's now included but just needs enabling. I really need to learn Blender, awesome app.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Photoline has built-in a measure/scale tool which is awesome, first you draw a line over something that you know the size and then internally the software store it and you can keep measuring in that given scale.

I know Photoline is not famous but it has pretty neat features that are extremely powerful like fully 32 bit workflow, scale ruler, etc.