You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Photo's extension "edit in.. not working

I still am not able to use the extension "edit in Affinity Photo's"  in Apple Photo's> when I try to use this it results in an error "Affinity Photo could not be launched" (See screenshots). Al,l other extensions work fine. 

When I use the function in Photo's "edit with" and the choose Affinity, it fires up well. 

Do I need to set a specific setting ? or is it still a "bug"

I am on macOS 10.14.3 and Affinity Photo 1.6.11.  The problem also existed with macOS High Sierra.

Thanks for any suggestion.

479094327_Schermafbeelding2019-02-13om19_51_57.thumb.png.78efd5bac88600bde6a2b7ec7238d1db.png1301857611_Schermafbeelding2019-02-13om19_50_46.png.f0fce42999dc14d13e8edd4620f7b9ae.png

• Staff

Hi MacGB :)

We're aware of this bug in the current live version, however this has been fixed in our latest version 1.7 beta. Could you please try downloading and installing this alongside your live version of the app to see if this fixes the issue for you?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hello Dan,

I did some testing and the version 1.7 beta is indeed firing up correctly using the extension Edith in Affinity Photo,

However it is changing the aspect ratio of my picture.

Let me explain:

I use a micro four thirds camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G80  and lens: Lumix G vario 14-140 mm.

Mostly I shoot in RAW with the aspect ratio 3:2. As it turns out using the extension "edit in" the aspect ratio is changed to 4:3, so not taking into account  the in-camera setting.

When I use the Apple Photo's function: "edit with" and then choose Affinity Photo, the aspect ratio is correctly preserved.

Also using Affinity Photo as stand alone and then load a RAW  picture, the aspect ratio is correctly taken into account.

Using the other extensions (develop etc.) also open up with the correct aspect-ratio.

I hope you are able to fix this in the final version.

By the way, I discovered that the Develop extension isn't able to write back to Apple Photo's (in the beta that is). Where can I report this kind of behaviour ? (or shouldn't I do this as it's still not a full working version ?)

• Staff

Hi MacGB :)

This has been answered in the split thread I created from your last post, please see the below thread here -

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 3 months later...

I also have this problem. I can't edit a photo using the Affinity extension – I get the message  "Affinity Photo could not be launched". I am running Mac OS 10.14.5 and Affinity 1.7.0. I would really like to be able to round–trip with Photos rather than editing a photo in Affinity and having to save it and re–import it to Photos.

Any suggestions or advice grateful received.

19 hours ago, akg10tb said:

I also have this problem. I can't edit a photo using the Affinity extension – I get the message  "Affinity Photo could not be launched".

I think I got that message only once, before I had launched the new 1.7.0 version of Affinity Photo for the first time. But my memory is a bit fuzzy on that, so it may have been either after I had logged out & back into my Mac user account or after I restarted my Mac.

So maybe doing any or all of the above will work for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi akg10tb :)

Could you please confirm, are you using the Mac App Store version of the app, or the Affinity Store version?

31 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think I got that message only once, before I had launched the new 1.7.0 version of Affinity Photo for the first time. But my memory is a bit fuzzy on that, so it may have been either after I had logged out & back into my Mac user account or after I restarted my Mac.

So maybe doing any or all of the above will work for you?

Many thanks – unfortunately I'm still getting the message after a restart.

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi akg10tb :)

Could you please confirm, are you using the Mac App Store version of the app, or the Affinity Store version?

Dan – I'm using a copy I originally purchased  from the Mac App store which has been automatically updated to 1.7.0

1 hour ago, akg10tb said:

Many thanks – unfortunately I'm still getting the message after a restart.

Have you also run Affinity Photo at least once after restarting your Mac & before running Apple Photos again?

If you have done that, the only other thing I can think of to suggest is to go to System Preferences > Extensions & toggle off & then back on the Affinity ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you also run Affinity Photo at least once after restarting your Mac & before running Apple Photos again?

If you have done that, the only other thing I can think of to suggest is to go to System Preferences > Extensions & toggle off & then back on the Affinity ones.

Thanks for the suggestion, which I've tried without success unfortunately. I'm waiting to hear from Dan about the issue of an App Store purchase v an Affinity store purchase to see if that is the problem,.

8 minutes ago, akg10tb said:

I'm waiting to hear from Dan about the issue of an App Store purchase v an Affinity store purchase to see if that is the problem,.

FWIW, I bought Affinity Photo from the Mac App Store too, so I think the only major difference is I am still running High Sierra & you are running Mojave.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
20 hours ago, akg10tb said:

I'm waiting to hear from Dan about the issue of an App Store purchase v an Affinity store purchase to see if that is the problem

Unfortunately not, this had been reported previously by a select few customers using the Affinity Store version, however the app store version continued to function as expected.

20 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I bought Affinity Photo from the Mac App Store too, so I think the only major difference is I am still running High Sierra & you are running Mojave.

Thanks for testing R C-R, I too am using Mojave however I can't replicate the error message that OP is seeing. 

@akg10tb Do you have any other applications that has access to the same 'Edit in' menu? I'm trying to discern if there is a third party app interfering perhaps.

Do you know what file type you're trying to open from Photos? Is it a RAW file? If so from which camera?

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

@akg10tb Do you have any other applications that has access to the same 'Edit in' menu? I'm trying to discern if there is a third party app interfering perhaps.

Do you know what file type you're trying to open from Photos? Is it a RAW file? If so from which camera?

Well now......

I've just completely uninstalled Affinity (using 'Clean my Mac') and re–downloaded it from the App Store whereupon – hey presto! – the "Edit in Affinity" extension is now working!

So, all good now – I can at last round–trip to Affinity and back to Mac Photos

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad to hear this issue has been resolved, I'll pass this info on to our developers looking into this! :) 

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @slimx,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble. I have tested the process of sending a RAW file from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo to be developed here, using AP 1.9.0 and macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 -

I opened Apple Photos, selected my RAW file and chose 'Edit' in the top right corner. Then, from the extensions menu to the left of this Edit option I selected 'Edit in Affinity', this opened my RAW file in the develop Persona of AP. After I developed the image I made some pixel changes using the inpainting tool, then added 1 adjustment and 1 filter layer to the image.

Once happy with the results, I used File>Save, then File>Close. After doing this I returned to Apple Photos to see the edited image had been sent back, I selected 'Save Changes' in the top right and the image was saved to my Photos library.

Can you please confirm, does your workflow differ from the one provided above? At what point are you seeing errors with this function? Does this happen every time for you (ie can you replicate a crash/error consistently) or does it appear to happen at random?

Many thanks in advance!