You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

True Type font support

I am really appreciating the development of Affinity Publisher BETA.

I have some TrueType (TTF) fonts that work fine in InDesign and MSWord, but do not appear at all in any Affinity product.  To clarify, the font shows in the font list in the Character panel in Publisher, but when applying it to my written text, it does not/will not show.

Thus this request to have more support for TTF fonts, particularly in Publisher.

Thank you for considering.

25 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Which particular font do you talk about? Can you zip one of them and attach it here

The font may be copyright and if so zipping it and attaching it here, or attaching it here unzipped, could be illegal!

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

My god, William, I know this. But as you said „could be“ not „is“.

Do you have a besser proposal to narrow down the issue?

I swear by the life my grandma, that I will eat up the font after having a look at @Lensman’s issue . (Hope, I am able to do this before Monotype detects this particular thread.) :)

If it's not a free font, Serif can provide a private upload link for you, and can delete their cut after resolving the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

Just now, walt.farrell said:

If it's not a free font, Serif can provide a private upload link for you, and can delete their cut after resolving the problem.

Which Serif staff should just automatically do when they respond to a thread. Perhaps they should also ask that question (whether it is a commercial font)—but in my experience users so often have zero clue.

27 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Do you have a besser proposal to narrow down the issue?

Well, Lensman could be asked to post the name of the font and Lensman could be asked to state which characters he is trying to use.

We need to check that Lensman is aware of the need to highlight the text if one is trying to change the font in which some text is displayed.

The reason that I wrote 'could be' rather than 'is' is because if Lensman made the font himself it would not be illegal for him to post it here if he so chooses. I often publish fonts on the web, but only fonts that I have made myself, never other fonts. 

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Lensman could be asked to post the name of the font

William please re-read my post! My first sentence: "Which particular font do you talk about?"

And: Sending the font to a private link to the team is illegal (though less obvious) too, if the font publisher disallows handing it over. (There is no legal – a little bit legal – may be legal – half illegal – death punishment.)

Hi Lensman

What is the name of the font please?

Could you possibly tell us, step by step, what you do when you are trying to change the font in which your text is displayed please?

Could you say what language the text is in please?

William

2 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

William please re-read my post! My first sentence: "Which particular font do you talk about?"

Yes, I noticed your first sentence. I did not comment upon it.

It was not me who suggested sending the font to a private link.

Your post arrived just as I was sending the post which has appeared after the post from you to which I am now replying.

The thing is, Lensman wrote "but when applying it to my written text, it does not/will not show." so we need to check that Lensman knows how to change the font on some text.

William

Well, I just got a bleep and found that you have put a Haha onto my previous but one post.

But why please? We need to establish that Lensman knows how to carry out the desired process. Maybe how to do it is what we need to explain. Lensman seems to have got the list of available fonts in Publisher so we need to find out why he cannot get his text displayed in that font. For example, maybe the text has been converted to curves previously: that would explain why trying to change font would not work.

William

Or could it be that the text in a different layer than the one presently selected?

Or could the layer be locked so that its contents cannot be changed?

I have not used Layers in Publisher so I am wondering?

William

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Or could the layer be locked so that its contents cannot be changed?

I have not used Layers in Publisher so I am wondering?

As in the ‘Plus’ applications, locking a layer in the Affinity apps only locks against transformation and deletion. You can still edit the contents of the layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

I had drafted a reply but when I posted it the internet had dropped out here and I lost the lot.

Anyway, I found that Affinity Publisher works differently from PagePlus in that if one wants to go back to an unselected text frame one needs to use the Frame Text tool and not the pointer tool. I got into quite a muddle with this and I am wondering if this might be the problem that Lensman found.

William

15 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I had drafted a reply but when I posted it the internet had dropped out here and I lost the lot.

That’s very odd, William! If I close and reopen a browser tab after starting to draft a reply, the forum software restores the unposted content for me.

53C494F7-6F8E-45DF-A6C6-F64A5B8E25CC.thumb.jpeg.37adf414f7520d348b7c9ba9d6c41e12.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Oh, well maybe I could have got it back but muddled it!

The internet took quite a time to get back on and so I did some writing offline in PagePlus in the meantime then started again with the forum when I was back online.

William

Thank you for the replies.

I am on a PC.  It is a Chinese font.  It is not outlined.  I use it right next to other fonts on the same page in the same manner.

The file is called "HDZB_25.ttf", but in the list it is called "汉鼎繁印".  I use it with several other Chinse fonts that work fine in Publisher, Word and InDesign.

Upon further investigation, I found that the file embeddability is Restricted (in the properties panel)... If that is the reason, then why does it work fine in Word and InDesign, but not Publisher?

I have found the font listed on the https://www.certifiedchinesetranslation.com/fonts/Chinese.html website.

It is over 4 Megabytes in size. I wonder if that is something to do with it.

I am wondering whether the name coming up in Chinese characters is not liked by the Affinity software.

It looks like the fonts are free download? Is that right?

Are you able to use one of the Chinese fonts supplied with Windows by Microsoft? I am just wondering because the names for those come up in Latin letters.

William

I have other Chinese fonts that use Chinese in the list name too with no problem.  I would use another font, but this one is for Large Seal script, which is quite specific and has a different character set (i.e., the Chinese character is written differently (historically) from other scripts (like Small Seal Script) but the meaning is the same)

Yes, it was a free download and is the only one I could find for Large Seal Script.  I use various Small Seal Scripts - they all work fine (and are not restricted).

I do suspect it has something to do with the restriction - I hope the file size does not matter!  If it does, then that would reinforce my request for better TTF support and 'should be' a simple solution.  =)

Hmm, interesting.  I just redownloaded the font from his link and that file is also restricted in the details panel, but states that I have full access in the Security panel, just like the first file I downloaded.

Edited by Lensman

I assume you have multiple fonts installed from this creator.
I took a closer look at HDZB_25.ttf and HDZB_5.ttf
It appears that both have the same Unique Font Identifier

䡡湄楮札䍓ⵆ潮瑳

䡡湄楮札䍓ⵆ潮瑳

The PostScript Name is also the same in both fonts - "By JOSSQ-DMF in BeiJing"
This is supposed to be a unique font name for printers and PDFs.

So APub may be getting confused by the names in the files (or lack thereof).
Try having only the one font you need installed.
Un-install the other fonts and see if this one alone magically starts working properly.

FontLab saw these two fonts as the same font.
So it definitely did not like the way the name fields were written.
Another tool, FontReport Lite, also saw them as the same font.

So I think that the way these fonts are named may be the problem.
They could probably be fixed by updating the name fields properly.