You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replace Image not working

I choose an image, click “Replace Image” button, choose an .afphoto file, click Open and presto! Nothing happens. The same jpeg stays where it was, the new image does not appear or replace it.

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Think I got it. Perhaps it is because .afphoto is treated like a document format and not an image format?

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Maybe, but then it shouldn't let you choose one, or at a minimum should toss up an error instead of simply ignoring you.

Ah hell, I think you both may be correct.

Treated like a document makes sense of some of the problems I have been having.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

So cruel. Not all images are treated equal :D

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

9 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Treated like a document makes sense of some of the problems I have been having.

8 minutes ago, Läppä said:

So cruel. Not all images are treated equal

Bear in mind that the three Affinity applications use the same file format, so from that perspective Photo = Designer = Publisher and placing a document from Affinity Photo is no different from placing one for Affinity Publisher...

In that sense, it makes sense that it may behave differently in the document, but it would be sensible to be able to replace any image with another, even one that is handled differently once it's placed. But as we know, many wrinkles will be smoothed.

OT: I love the amount of thought-out features in these apps. They keep surprising me.

Note that placed image files (.jpg, .png, .tiff) show up in the Layers panel as (Image) layers.

Placed documents (.pdf, .psd, .eps, .svg, .afphoto, .afdesign, . afpub) show up as (Embedded Document) layers.

They act differently, and are manipulated differently.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.