MeineQuest

[Cannot Reproduce] Update not possible "Setup error"

Hey, 

I have a problem on my notebook with Affinity Photo. I wanted to update to the latest version, so I uninstalled the old Affinity Photo version to be on the safe side. Unfortunately I only get the option to update Affinity Photo now... I didn't have that problem with Designer!

Can anyone help me with this ? 

Windows should be up to date.

Thank you very much! 

MeineQuest

Error.PNG

Installation.PNG

Hi @MeineQuest,

Welcome to the forums. 

Can you please go to %temp%\AffinitySetup\ , open the most recent folder, and attach the setup.log and setupui.log here so we can have a look. 

Thanks,
Gabe. 

It looks like you already have a version installed and we cannot uninstall it:
+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  

Can you please try to manually uninstall the previous version? And then install it again? 

It should be only here: C:\Program Files\Affinity\ and %AppData%\Affinity\ . Try to delete both "affinity photo" folders from those directories, reboot, and try to install it again, with Right click > Run as Admin. 

1 hour ago, MeineQuest said:

Yes, I have tried that before, but it seems that there is still a certain amount of residual data somewhere. :( 

Maybe try this:

1) Run the tool in the below link from the Microsoft website:

https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

(English version here)

2) After running the tool to fix any issues, it should allow you to then uninstall the previous version of Affinity Photo by going to [Windows Settings > Apps], and uninstalling Affinity Photo. If it isn't listed as installed there, proceed to the next step anyway.

3) Once the older version of Affinity Photo is completely uninstalled, run the installer file for the new version of Affinity Photo (affinity-photo-1.6.5.135.exe).  It should now install. 

4) I suspect something (maybe file cleaning software; I don't know) has deleted files in C:\Windows\Installer. Files in this location shouldn't be deleted.

If for some reason it fails to install again after doing the above steps (hopefully it won't), create a new log file for why the installation is failing again.