You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert CMYK image to RGB when copying from another Designer project

59 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The one, not at all surprising, thing that would crash it consistently & immediately is trying to Place the saved document into itself. 

Thanks for trying that for me, I have oft been tempted to do so myself. [better-you-than-me emoticon] [wicked-grin emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Thanks for trying that for me, I have oft been tempted to do so myself. [better-you-than-me emoticon] [wicked-grin emoticon]

I guess I should report this as a bug ... perhaps to the Department of Redundancy Department at Serif? :35_thinking:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, >|< said:

Unsurprisingly, that does not crash the app on my machine (AD 1.6.1 on macOS 10.13.6). I can embed your document inside itself. Furthermore, I can then re-save the document, open the embedded document in a new tab and embed the re-saved document inside that, and so on.

When you embed a document, a copy of the document is embedded, not a reference to a document file. In your example, it's not as if the parent document was put in a state where it recursively referenced itself, so why were you not surprised by a crash that should not have happened?

Same here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

One thing which doesn't seem to work for me on OSX is ...

• you have a document1 with an embedded other document2
  • you expand the embedded document2 from document1 so it appears in an own tab
  • now you try to "open" the usual way via "File > open" document2 ...

... that doesn't work, it won't open document2 the normal way as far as it is already expanded from document1 in an <embedded> tab.

However, opening document1 and document2 first the usual way and then expanding the embedded document2 from document1 works instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Same here!

Sorry, I did not make it clear that the file I uploaded is not the one that crashed the app. I am not sure of the exact sequence of steps that caused the crash in the one that did crash it, but I suspect one of the prior (random?) crashes I mentioned had something to do with it.

All I know for sure is I have crash logs that say the crashed thread was "Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos" with an exception code of "KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000160."

I have no idea whether that indicates something in the Affinity app or my copy of High Sierra or something else caused the crashes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, >|< said:

OK, but why did you say that the crash was unsurprising?

Because it did not surprise me -- it was just the last in a series of crashes that occurred while working with that file before I gave up on it.

Another odd thing about it is every time I relaunched Designer after one of those crashes, before I even went to "Open Recent" or otherwise tried to open the file, Designer opened with the Preferences window open, even though I had not even opened that window since a day or two ago & had worked on several other files since doing that.

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, >|< said:

Exactly the excuse that I expected, lol.

Why do you consider that an excuse? The file had already crashed the app several times, displaying the Preferences window every time I relaunched it, & even when it was not crashing the app I noted several odd behaviors like bounding boxes that did not surround the selected layer & odd rendering artifacts that disappeared when I changed the zoom level, so why would I be surprised when it crashed the app yet again?

Affinity Photo 

34 minutes ago, >|< said:

Give us a break. The context of your statement about the "unsurprising" crash made it entirely obvious that you thought that embedding a [copy of a] document inside the document would inevitably crash the app.

What I said was "The one, not at all surprising, thing that would crash it consistently & immediately is trying to Place the saved document into itself." In that sentence "it" referred to the file I was experimenting with, not the one I uploaded. If that context was not clear, I apologize for that, but I was mostly just interested in seeing if there were any limits on how deeply I could embed documents in other documents, kind of like Russian nested dolls (which inspired the shapes in the uploaded file).

Like I said, there did not seem to be any limits, but at some point I started getting crashes, not with the uploaded file but with the one I was experimenting with. And in that file, once the crashes started happening, each time I restored it, the one thing that would crash it immediately & consistently was trying to embed the saved copy into it. The prior crashes were not like that -- sometimes there would be a delay before the app crashed with a spinning 'beachball' cursor; other times bounding boxes weren't working right or artifacts were appearing for some time before it crashed. I lost track of all the changes I made, so I really don't know how many embedded layers I had added to the file (there were a lot) or which changes the app was having problems coping with.

All I know for sure is that after some change to the file the one thing that would crash it immediately was trying to embed a copy into it. By then, considering all the odd behaviors I had already seen, I was not in the least surprised by that. Clearly, something in the recovered file was wonky. I just don't know what it was or how to repeat it with what I still had saved as independent files.

1 hour ago, >|< said:

You even went on to say that you should report that behaviour as a bug after another member confirmed that they similarly had a crash when trying to do the same.

If you mean the reply by @Old Bruce, he did not say he had a crash, just that he thanked me for trying something he had been tempted to try. My reply to that was intended as an inside joke about there being a "Department of Redundancy Department" at Serif, which was an intentionally obscure reference to a catch phrase from an old Fireside Theater skit. It is one of several that I have occasionally tried to sneak into posts to see if anybody else would recognize the source. So far, nobody has.

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

an old Fireside Theater skit.

I loved their album 'All Hail Marx and Lennon'. but surely it is Firesign Theater.

"Don't call me Shirley"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

I loved their album 'All Hail Marx and Lennon'. but surely it is Firesign Theater.

"Don't call me Shirley"

Yes, Shirley you are right about the spelling. :$

BTW, as obscure as Firesign Theater references are to most, if you have an iPhone, tell Siri, "This is worker speaking. Hello." This is the surprising backstory of the response.

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, >|< said:

The lengths some people will go to.

Funny. I was thinking the same thing about some of your comments. ;)

Affinity Photo