You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF import issue 1.7.0.4 beta

Apologies if this is not the correct place to report issues in the beta releases.

Bug: "Group lines of text into text frames" is always active.

The pdf import in 1.7.0.4 seems to be vastly improved (testing with pdfs produced by Latex / Lualatex through matplotlib).

However, there is a new issue that is not present in the stable release. The "Group lines of text into text frames" toggle in the pdf import panel seems to have no effect. Text in the same line is always grouped no matter if it is checked or not. This works as expected in the stable release so it is a new issue that cropped up during beta. This is an important feature for a simple reason: when importing pdf graphs produced by other software (i.e. matplotlib) to improve or work on the graphs, most of the text are independent values in x and y axes, which should not be grouped as that would mean they would change positions while editing.

Thanks

Joao.

Thanks for the reply,

The files are produced by matplotlib using the latex (lualatex) backend in the latest MacTex. The font used is Latin Modern Pro, but both versions of Designer recognise the font as belonging to the Computer Modern family of fonts (this may be an upstream issue in matplotlib). During import I replace the fonts with their Latin Modern equivalents (as their are no adequate otf/ttf versions of Computer Modern available). Latin Modern is based on Computer Modern so it should be a straight replacement with the exception of CMMI (Computer Modern Math Italic), which is replaced by Latin Modern Roman, Italic style.

I am not able to reproduce the issue with all pdf files, but I'm attaching the culprit that provokes this behaviour in the beta but not the stable version.This is the locareas_xxxx.pdf.

I am attaching another file for a different issue (sorry) that is present in the stable version and still not corrected in the beta. This has to do with "." being replaced by ":" during import. This happens only with the math font (CMMI). The file is cscatype_xxx.pdf.

It would be great if Affinity could work on the conversion between the Computer Modern font family to Latin Modern font family (the first being the default font for older non-unicode LaTex output, the second being the default for newer unicode LaTex, i.e. XeTex and LuaTex --- LuaTex to become the standard LaTex 3 in the future). Latin Modern is also considered the suggested replacement for Computer Modern based documents. Again, the issues crop up with the Math sub-family of the Computer Modern font only.

Thanks for the help.

locareas_by_year_cumulative.pdf

cscatypes_ns2.pdf

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.