You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add Assets Panel From Designer to Photo

I'm doing some Digital speed painting in Photo and I developed a workaround for the lack of a custom shapes tool like the one in Photoshop. I Lay out my rough sketch and colors in Photo, then I go to File > Edit in Designer, where I have set up some categories in the Assets Panel for my custom shapes. I have to place a few of my textures and shapes into the canvas and then I have to go back to File > Edit in Photo. Once I'm back in Photo I can use the Mesh Warp Tool to warp the textures how I want them.

My request is to have the Assets panel in Photo also so I don't have to jump back and forth. That way I can add and warp all in the same program. Sometimes once I start to warp the textures I notice that I forgot something and I have to jump back over to Designer just to grab a single texture, then back to Photo to warp. For speed painting, it's a pretty big step to add to the workflow.

If the Assets Panel is added to Photo, I don't think that there will be a need for a Custom Shapes Tool.

Thanks, those sound like good options too. Though, I don't know if they would be much if at all faster. Either way, it kinda takes me out of my flow. The workflow I mentioned works for now. It's actually very quick to bounce between the two programs as long as they're both open. I just thought I would make a suggestion that I think a lot of people would like.

I'm also looking forward to a vector Mesh warp for Designer and non-destructive perspective feature in Photo that would allow embedded documents to remain embedded instead of rasterizing them. Those would be neat to have.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this.

I would ideally like to see Affinity Photo implement a similar workflow to Photoshop for the creation and use of Custom Shapes. It provides a very accelerated workflow for illustrators and concept artists.

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

3 hours ago, supermundane said:

Bumping this.

If by "this" you mean adding the Assets panel to Photo, it's there already in 1.7.3.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, supermundane said:

Bumping this.

I would ideally like to see Affinity Photo implement a similar workflow to Photoshop for the creation and use of Custom Shapes. It provides a very accelerated workflow for illustrators and concept artists.

When I posted this originally there was no asset panel in Photo but thay have since added it. I use it exactly the way I used to use the custom shapes from Photoshop. Try it I like it way better than custom shapes because it can be multi-colored or flat monochrome. You can even save raster objects if you want. The next thing we need is a way to trace raster shapes and make them vector. 

Right now I just trace objects in Inkscape and bring them into Affinity then save them to the asset panel.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If by "this" you mean adding the Assets panel to Photo, it's there already in 1.7.3.

I think supermundane means a way to make the custom shapes. Currently, there's no way to make a raster object into a vector shape without manually tracing it.

8 minutes ago, jcalsos said:

Currently, there's no way to make a raster object into a vector shape without manually tracing it.

True, but one can easily make custom shapes using the vector tools in Photo. And save them in the Assets panel, as you've noted :)

(I really wasn't sure what supermundane meant by "this" since the topic started out asking about the Assets panel but also took some side tracks after that.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1