You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

... "the document is about to change, do you want to save your changes?"

What I am not understanding is this - Once that I have completed editing an image and have saved it as an *.afphoto image after leaving the DEVELOP persona ... and then EXPORT the aforementioned edited image, and saved that as a HQ ".jpeg" image ... when I then try to "CLOSE" or "X" out of the image, I get the dialogue box asking me whether I want to save the image or not (see attached clip) - I find this very confusing as I thought that I have already saved it twice, as stated.

If I choose either YES or NO ... what are the results of those BOTH of those choices upon closing that image?

CLOSE_DOCUMENT.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @MGBJAY. :)

When you confirm or change the export settings, you affect the contents of the *.afphoto file upon resaving the document. If you close the program without resaving the document, the original export settings will be retained.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Firstly, Thanks for the answer, and my apologies for sounding a bit thick here, but ...

... I am still not understanding the results of either choice here. As far as I am concerned, I've already made the changes to the image that I wanted to. I then saved that image as BOTH an *.afphoto image AND a HQ *.jpeg image ... with my understanding that the ORIGINAL image remains as it was before ANY editing applied to it, and remains unchanged as the RAW image it began as ... and that is what I thought was the way this worked.

Why am I yet again asked whether or not I want to save it yet again, and if I choose to save it again ... which image is then changed?

In your original post you stated that you saved the image as an Affinity file and then exported it to JPEG format. If you export to JPEG first and then save as a *.afphoto image, I think you should find that you aren’t prompted to save again when closing the program.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, MGBJAY said:

Why am I yet again asked whether or not I want to save it yet again, and if I choose to save it again ... which image is then changed?

Here's an experiment for you which will demonstrate what's happening.

1. Create your document.
  2. Make sure the History panel is open. Take note of its contents.
  3. Save your .afphoto file. Again, take note of the contents of the History.
  4. Export your JPEG. Note the History panel contents.

You should find at step 4 that you got a new History entry. Because you have a new History entry, your document is considered to have changed. Because it has changed, if you try to close it you will be prompted to save or not.

If you're sure that you didn't do anything else between steps 3 and 4 just tell Photo not to save it. Or if you're unsure, just tell Photo to save it.

Or, as Alfred suggests, Export the JPEG first, then Save the .afphoto.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1