You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Release discussion (split)

Q. for mods: Since the Affinity team was accurate in forecasting when the public Beta of APub would be ready for testing, I was wondering if they also had an "ideal" release date in mind, ie. "Summer 2019" or "When the rivers are aboil with eels, and the locusts have laid waste to the land, it is then I say, brethren, then...and only then, that the time of great release will be upon us." — Affinities 2 : 10

Anyone care to speculate as to when this pub will be open for business? :)

P.S. It already feels quite familiar, working in this new app. Hope to stop seeing those "Don't use this for serious stuff—or else!" warnings soon.

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

On 2/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, TheOtherRoland said:

Q. for mods: Since the Affinity team was accurate in forecasting when the public Beta of APub would be ready for testing, I was wondering if they also had an "ideal" release date in mind, ie. "Summer 2019" or "When the rivers are aboil with eels, and the locusts have laid waste to the land, it is then I say, brethren, then...and only then, that the time of great release will be upon us." — Affinities 2 : 10

Anyone care to speculate as to when this pub will be open for business? :)

P.S. It already feels quite familiar, working in this new app. Hope to stop seeing those "Don't use this for serious stuff—or else!" warnings soon.

Hear! Hear!  The difficulty is in trying to test out Publisher, a document is created (and yes, I have some attachment to it).  If the builds aren't on auto-update, then there is no problem at all.  But when I went back in to work on a document after being away for two weeks, it was pretty much unworkable.  Still, I'm all in on this, so thank you for giving us the opportunity.

The „key features“ are the ones, which are already built in. Don‘t expect more — especially, because it is much more rich and elaborated as we all expected, before the beta finally was launched.

Be aware, that it can’t be expected and isn‘t possible to integrate all features, which are incorporated in 2 decades old publishing apps, in an initial version of a completely new programm.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Gareth Webber said:

You seem really close now.

What are the key features you plan to add before you leave Beta?

Gareth

Well.... oh no that would be a spoiler. There are some important ones still to come some soon. They will need to pass internal testing. Whether they make it into the release of  Affinity Publisher 1.7, I expect they will be in the release before too long.

You know that those who have not followed this beta process (the majority of the world) will look at the 1.7.0 release and pick on one 'missing' feature they are used to in a 20+ year old product and dismiss the whole program without an understanding of where we are going with this suite, or that 1.x free updates can include new features as well as fixes. We may depend upon social media followers and forum regulars who undestand how far we have come, how quickly and our ambitions, to suggest to doubters that a little patience will be rewarding.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Well.... oh no that would be a spoiler. There are some important ones still to come some soon. They will need to pass internal testing. Whether they make it into the release of  Affinity Publisher 1.7, I expect they will be in the release before too long.

You know that those who have not followed this beta process (the majority of the world) will look at the 1.7.0 release and pick on one 'missing' feature they are used to in a 20+ year old product and dismiss the whole program without an understanding of where we are going with this suite, or that 1.x free updates can include new features as well as fixes. We may depend upon social media followers and forum regulars who undestand how far we have come, how quickly and our ambitions, to suggest to doubters that a little patience will be rewarding.

I understand but _assuming_ your pricing strategy is constant with your other products, then your comparisons are really the free products no?

• Staff

I have moved this discussion that is not build 238 specific to it's own thread

1 hour ago, Gareth Webber said:

...then your comparisons are really the free products no?

no.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 months later...

Will there be a release party with candy and sugary drinks? :)

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

• Staff
12 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

Most indubitably

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

21 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

8 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Most indubitably

Could I do fruit and tea out here on the wet coast?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Most indubitably

Indubitably was my late father's favorite word to stop us in our tracks!    Haven't heard it in years.   Thank you!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9