You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extract images from PDF

20 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Oops that was missing in my previous post
I selected them with ctrl+click in the layers panel
It shows on the artboards on screen with a caption and frame around the selected items.
Good thing as you might miss an item.

Yes, but when I do that I end up with just 1 slice in the Export Persona. Exporting it just gets me one image with all the selected images on it.

Edit: Must remember to click Create Slice in the Layers Panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, haakoo said:

It works for me like shown here from 4:26 up and the exporting at 7:00

Wonderful. Thank you. Silly me, I forgot to click the Create Slice button.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you are on Windows, Nitro PDF will extract all the images from a PDF for you. The 14 day pro trial is fully functional, although I am unsure if the current free reader version still allows the user to extract images for free (it used to be the case).

Not the most inexpensive solution, though. A license is $200. But at least you will be "Adobe free".

12 hours ago, andyjones said:

Probably because it doesn’t have anything to do with the question. But in answer to your question - Yes I have permission. These are files that clients supply of their brochure etc - but they can’t find the original files. 

Thanks for that. I do pose the question because it is relevant to the terms of reference of these forum.  There have been several postings that appear to be indirectly asking how to circumvent copyright restrictions.

I'm only sorry that I cannot actually offer any useful advice on your original question.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Thanks for that. I do pose the question because it is relevant to the terms of reference of these forum.  There have been several postings that appear to be indirectly asking how to circumvent copyright restrictions.

I'm only sorry that I cannot actually offer any useful advice on your original question.

John

Ah I see - no problem.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another way of extracting images from a PDF could be: Open the PDF in APu, go to Resource Manager, select all files, Make Linked.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem extracting images from a pdf file. My job requires that I extract images (not text), clean them up, usually resize them and make them ready for re-publishing. Almost always, the files are quite old and the paper almost always discolored. With PS5, as has been mentioned, I open the file, mark the images I want, click OK, and in short order, I have them in separate files, ready for editing. It's a single step, in other words. I do know of other ways of extracting the files, and while they work, it's not as simple and direct at PS5. I also know I can open the file in AP, but my choices are to either designate a single page, which I almost never know, or open the whole file. I see others in this forum are looking for the same capability as I am. I don't think any of us are saying it can't be done, either inside or outside AP, just that the process with PS5 (which is the newest version I have), is direct, straightforward, if you will. Some consideration this feature would be greatly appreciated.

• 10 months later...

Thank you all for the tips of editing in Designer and using Export Persona with Slicing tool. It's a perfect solution for me.

I've got materials from scientific labs. They tend to put all images in powerpoint files with all kinds of annotations and formulas. Saving all the images one by one while keeping (or redrawing) all the drawn lines and symbols in the right place and right style might waste quite a bit of efforts from time to time.  Now I can extract them with more control after exporting the PPT files to PDF.  The best among all is that all those lines and formulas are all intact and editable in Publisher/Designer.  The Sliced Export technique also allows me to create the materials for the website with ease.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I admit to being a non-expert with Affinity Photo, but I did figure out how to use the Export Persona and Slices to Export image pages from a PDF file (a 200-page novel). Like so many other users, I wish for as simple a way as found in PS to save just the image files. In case you don't know, it's a "click and save" process in PS. VERY simple; VERY fast. It took AP almost forever to load the document, and it didn't seem possible to click on the Artboard to select an image page. That meant I had to scroll down through the slices to make the selections. I agree is is doable, but it ain't quick, and it ain't elegant. For me, at any rate, for this critical feature, PS is still the winner.

• 2 years later...

Chiming in to add my gratitude to everyone who contributed to this thread—I was in the exact situation as the original poster, trying to extract images from a PDF where the client had lost the originals. I opened the PDF in Affinity Designer, switched to Export Persona, selected all the images, sliced them, and exported them to png. In about five minutes I had a folder of full-res graphics!