You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extract images from PDF

HI there,

One feature Photoshop has which I really miss in Affinity Photo is the ability to extract the images from a PDF.

Often clients supply a PDF, which contains images that you might want to use without the text over the top, or cropped differently.

If you could import the original image, it will be more usable in other projects.

Thanks

Andy

18 minutes ago, haakoo said:

And besides,if the original creator cropped and/or compressed/rasterized before exporting to pdf,there is no gain also

Not true. If the image inserted into indesign (for example) was actual scaled down to 50% and cropped in the PDF, the original sized image would still be available, so I can get a higher resolution original form the PDF in Photoshop

26 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Hi andyjones - Affinity Photo can open a PDF with layers so I don't see the problem.

Ah OK - I didn't realise you could import with layers! This is great news - but, if I need to get 20 images form a product catalogue for example, it's going to take ages to manually extract the images and remove all the other graphics etc. In Photoshop, there is the option to select all the images you want prior to importing, and they all open up as separate photoshop files, at their original crop and resolution. This is the functionality I was asking about.

Apologies if I didn't explain myself better.

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I said the original creator.

I have no idea what you mean!

I can't see how else I can explain what I am trying to do, which i can't currently in Affiinity Photo.

I'm trying to explain multiple images, from a PDF, without having to open up the whole pages and delete all the other elements.

There could be a100 images - which would take forever if I have to import the entire PDF, but if I could just import the images into separate docs, it would be perfect.

Does that make sense? 

Just now, haakoo said:

By this I mean that if you receive a pdf made by somebody else they likely would have trimmed down excess data.
Images as is and maybe rasterized at a dpi/size needed for its purpose.
I see what you want,an option to import a (self created) pdf from another program and have its assets separated and opened.
But this could also mean you already have these assets,don't you think

Thanks. 

But in reality, a lot of publishers DON'T trim down their assets before publishing to PDF. And this is for items supplied by external originators, not myself. 

If I already had the assets in the first place, I probably wouldn't have posted this thread! ;)

If you have a CS version of Acrobat I'd just be thankful & continue to use what I think is great software. I think it's unlikely that any Serif programs will want to have Acrobat functionality in the foreseeable future.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

@andyjones: You can open your PDF file in Publisher (or Designer, or Photo) and work with the layers. For example:

1. Open in Photo
  2. Click on an image to select it (if necessary, do this in the Layers panel)
  3. Ctrl+C to copy it
  4. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N to use it as the source for a new document.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 as needed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, MickRose said:

If you have a CS version of Acrobat I'd just be thankful & continue to use what I think is great software. I think it's unlikely that any Serif programs will want to have Acrobat functionality in the foreseeable future.

I agree it's great software.

I feel a little confused by some of the responses on this thread to be honest (Not so much yours, but others were pretty hostile). 

This section of the forum is for product suggestions.

I had a suggestion which I thought was valid - and so too did @affinitybyserif on Twitter - and they actually suggested I post this here because it wasn't currently a feature of Affinity Photo.

But for some reason, post replies just seems very defensive about anything new - but surely this is a forum to share and suggest ideas?

Just tying to help make a great bit of software better - that can only happen by constructive discussion.  :)

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

@andyjones: You can open your PDF file in Publisher (or Designer, or Photo) and work with the layers. For example:

1. Open in Photo
  2. Click on an image to select it (if necessary, do this in the Layers panel)
  3. Ctrl+C to copy it
  4. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N to use it as the source for a new document.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 as needed.

Yep thanks for this - I can do it this way, but when there are 100s of images to extract, it can take quite a while, whereas i photoshop it takes seconds.

Just now, haakoo said:

Questioning a suggestion doesn't mean people are hostile just questioning why a feature should be implemented.
Your post about the assets maybe validin some cases but it may not be ttrue in all publications.
If this isn't the case you still would need to obtain the assets by other means.

Totally agree - just feel like people are shooting me down without consideration that's all.

@andyjones

Have you looked at the Export Persona

You can open the PDF, switch to the Export Persona, select all the image layers, create slices then export them all at once to a folder

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

None of these responses seem to have addressed the question: do you have permission from the copyright owner to use these images?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

None of these responses seem to have addressed the question: do you have permission from the copyright owner to use these images?

John

Probably because it doesn’t have anything to do with the question. But in answer to your question - Yes I have permission. These are files that clients supply of their brochure etc - but they can’t find the original files. 

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

Have you looked at the Export Persona

You can open the PDF, switch to the Export Persona, select all the image layers, create slices then export them all at once to a folder 

It's a good idea, but I don't think it works easily enough.

I'm not an Export Persona expert, so maybe I've missed some simple trick. But even selecting all the image layers (in Designer or Photo), the Export Persona sees only 1 slice to export. It seems I have to use the Slice Tool to draw a slice for each image manually. That would be a lot of work with a lot of images in the PDF, and as the Slice tool doesn't obey any snapping, it's hard to draw each slice accurately.

Yes, this works nicely. One can go to the Export Persona, select the image layers, click Create Slices (I forgot that), and Export the slices.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I selected with ctrl+click the images on the artboards and created slices

How did you create the slices? That's the part I'm missing, unless you're doing it image by image manually by drawing with the Slice tool.

-- Walt
PC: