You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Silhouette Cameo cutter and Silhouette connect

I currently design in Illustrator but I am getting tired of their exorbitant fees.

I design mainly for use with a Silhouette  Cameo cutting machine.

Currently I use the Silhouette Connect software which allows for direct cutting from AI or Corel Draw.

Any chance something like this plug in can be developed for Affinity Designer?

• 8 months later...

I was using Silhouette Connect before and it would be really cool to have something like this in AD. Mostly I miss the support for layers. 

Does AD support Plugins for generating and exporting Content? If so next stepp would be to find out what is possible on Silhouette side – or try to find another plotter. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 2:23 PM, marsjo said:

Does AD support Plugins for generating and exporting Content?

Not at this time.  There has been some discussion about the addition of a plugin API as well as scripting support, but there have been no indications of if or when this will actually be introduced, though from some of the replies that have been posted, the developers do seem to be open to the idea in general.

I am not as familiar with how the Silhouette works, as I have a Cricut, but with Cricut Design Space it is possible to import an SVG.  Users (including myself) have experienced issues with the SVG files produced by AD and a workaround seems to be to export a PDF from AD, import that PDF into Inkscape, then export the SVG from Inkscape to load into Design Space.  I have found that this generally works.

Does the Silhouette software support SVG import?  That might be your work-around for the time being if it does.

I’ll add that the cricut series machines also connect to the computer and work with their programs (design studio before and cricut craft room now, before Explore) they even have an additional device for the machines - gypsy is called. I had cricut first version, and I was very unhappy. Kraft room constantly threw a mistake, cut poorly, etc., in general, acquired a cameo in exchange. Now it suits me in all respects (after the cricket, of course!) From personal experience I can say that if expore is better, then it's cool, but I still have some sediment, and I'm not in a hurry to change my cameo. Cricket has a disgusting support service, they often write about it on foreign forums. Silhouette cameo series in this sense is more reliable)

In the Сricut, the drawing function seemed to me a plus in it, although I used it once and I don’t really like it, because it always draws the outline of letters, it doesn’t work out very well, or I didn’t ruin this function. Of the minuses - this is an endlessly flashing flash plug-in, on which the design-space program stands, the support service basically arranged for me, as after the next update, the Americans delved into my computer for three hours, nothing, repaired the program)) I tried to cut beer cardboard - it doesn't cut very.

and last one

How to Upload SVG Files into Silhouette Studio Software:
  1. Open up Silhouette Studio.
  2. In the upper left corner select FILE > OPEN, or use the shortcut CTRL+O for PC users, or click the open folder icon.
  3. An explorer window will pop open and you can locate the file on your computer. Select the file and Click OK.

Craft room and its ilk have been discontinued.  I have a Gypsy I used with my old Cricut that basically died on me before I replaced it with a Maker.

Design Space is overall better to work with than the old solutions, though I'm not fond of any of these relying so heavily on the outside world - if Cricut ever discontinues Design Space the way they discontinued Craft Room then there is no fallback for the machine to continue being usable.  That to me is a Design Flaw.

4 hours ago, leonardwulf said:

I’ll add that the cricut series machines also connect to the computer and work with their programs (design studio before and cricut craft room now, before Explore) they even have an additional device for the machines - gypsy is called. I had cricut first version, and I was very unhappy. Kraft room constantly threw a mistake, cut poorly, etc., in general, acquired a cameo in exchange. Now it suits me in all respects (after the cricket, of course!) From personal experience I can say that if expore is better, then it's cool, but I still have some sediment, and I'm not in a hurry to change my cameo. Cricket has a disgusting support service, they often write about it on 

How to Upload SVG Files into Silhouette Studio Software:
  1. Open up Silhouette Studio.
  2. In the upper left corner select FILE > OPEN, or use the shortcut CTRL+O for PC users, or click the open folder icon.
  3. An explorer window will pop open and you can locate the file on your computer. Select the file and Click OK.

But only with the payd designer edition of studio 

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

13 hours ago, dutchshader said:

But only with the payd designer edition of studio 

yes, but I'm more about the opportunity to do it. I do not advocate piracy, but if a one-time need arises, then you can bypass the problem with payment

Edited by leonardwulf

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...