You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping questions. Node and guides!

Hello, I had a couple of questions in relation to snapping in AD for iOS.

The first question: is about Node snapping to the center of the shape. Let's say you have a node and you want to move that down into the center of the object, but with all snapping options "on" for the node tool it can seem to snap everywhere but the center of the object. The way I normally get around this would be to create a shape and use the move tool snapping to snap into the center, then move the node down snapping onto this other object. 

Below is a video:

Is there a way to snap nodes to the center without the use of other objects?

The second question: When using a guide I can't seem to get it to snap to objects (similar to how to works on macOS) is there a way to get guides to snap?

Below is a video:

Thank you for your time,

Andrew.

c14a84770b0aac1bd123b13fbd7e3f16.png            Andrew Salfinger
Made by Campfire - Graphic Designer 

W: www.madebycampfire.com
E: hello@madebycampfire.com
T: https://twitter.com/madebycampfire

• Staff

Hi SalfingerAndrew :)

5 hours ago, SalfingerAndrew said:

Is there a way to snap nodes to the center without the use of other objects?

Currently in Affinity Designer for iPad the best way to snap nodes to the centre of objects is to use a guide (or another object), we understand this isn't ideal and we're working on a better solution currently.

6 hours ago, SalfingerAndrew said:

The second question: When using a guide I can't seem to get it to snap to objects (similar to how to works on macOS) is there a way to get guides to snap?

The guide editor doesn't quite work the same way on iOS as on the desktop, when editing a guide you cannot snap it to an object, however once you have confirmed the guide by changing back to the move tool, you can snap your object to it.

We're currently working on version 1.7 for both desktop and iPad, and the changes to the node+pen tool - specifically with construction snapping - should help with this workflow. Apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!