You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas Size changes in Percent

I will try to put this in a single note.

PS has a selecting call Percent that you use when adjusting the Canvas size.

It is possible to set the width at 100% and the Height at 200%.

This is recordable in an Action/Macro, and the Macro can be applied to any image with the same result.

At this time, there are no provisions in Affinity Photo to do the same thing.

There are things that I do on a regular basis that involve simple Macros that I created and then had them made into scripts. 

Just like lot's of other people, I would like to move away from PS. But to do so, there are some things I can't abandon.

If it helps, I would be happy to create a Camtasia Video of the PS process and post it.

16 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

In this case, it isn't just the Macro system that's a problem.

Even without trying to create a Macro (record) I can't make the changes to the Canvas Size values and have them stay.

At least two people have reported that it was working for them.

I've done everything I know to do. I still don't know if it is a PC issue only.

Maybe you should record a small screencast to show your problem, since I don't think it does really behave different on your side from what we already told above. - BTW there is no need to deinstall and reinstall the software just for this, if everything else works as expected on your side.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

There appears to be a great deal of effort put into making the Affinity Photo interface look like the Photoshop Interface. However, as I dig into the program, that is where the similarity stops.

The expression, "What were you thinking" might apply here!

Some of what I have encountered revolves around things that can be done to a single image Vs, things that are necessary to create good Macros. You know, those things that make repetitive processes easier!

This is number 2 in my attempts to recreate Macros that emulate what I was doing in Photoshop. Number 1 was Shadows.

Number 2 is Changing Canvas Size in Percent as illustrated in the attached video.

19 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

Forget the Macro for now.

I want to set the width of a canvas at 100% and, at the same time the Height at 200% on a PC.

For me, it isn't working and I do not know why since others are saying it works for them.

AFAI can see that does finally the same with the canvas itself and that's what we told all the time before. - In APh you just don't have a percentage drop down selector, instead you put the percentage expressions in, which then in turn are calculated on the docs used measure units. Also it doesn't frame a loaded image the closer around window way PS does, it does instead leave room for panning in windows.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

@v_kyr Regarding your most recent comments. Too bad, there are such time differences. It makes it difficult to keep track of what represents the last communications between us.

I've posted a video this AM showing what I can do in PS and not in AP. 

As far as I am concerned, that's the end of this project for now until, if and when, Serif decides to make some changes.

I have a couple more Actions, Macros/Scripts to test, but for now, because of what I do, it does not look like Affinity Photo is going to meet my needs. I am really disappointed, I thought that the program was a lot farther ahead than it is. It has so much potential and I look forward to the future. 

Well if it doesn't meet your expectations and you feel more comfortable and at home with PS, then just use that then. - Always use those tools you think will serve you best, for the job, things or work you have to do.

@Dennis Nisbet

See if the attached macro does what you want as regards resizing the canvas height to 200%

Install the macro via the Library Panel

(Should work on 1.6 and 1.7 beta but I have only done limited testing, as I have a hot date with a beer right now and will be gone for the rest of the night)

resize canvas.afmacros

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

@Dennis Nisbet

See if the attached macro does what you want as regards resizing the canvas height to 200%

Install the macro via the Library Panel

(Should work on 1.6 and 1.7 beta but I have only done limited testing, as I have a hot date with a beer right now and will be gone for the rest of the night)

resize canvas.afmacros

Worked for me on 1.7 with one quick test, Carl. When you've recovered from your date, care to explain what you did?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Worked for me on 1.7 with one quick test ...

Works only when there is one main selected layer, multiple layers would probably have to been flattened before (reduced to one) and that layer further must be selected in the layer panel.

In order to see the steps the macro performs, select it in the library panel and let it show up into the macro panel via "edit macro". This macro from carl123 does ...

• resizes the canvas (vertically huge)
  • duplicates the selected (image) layer
  • selects all
  • adjusts the selection - probably to the height of both layers
  • limits the canvas to the actual selection size
  • selects the bottom (image) layer
  • deletes the bottom layer

All I can say is,  WOW! What a great workaround.

By turning off the last step and flipping the image at the bottom, I was able to almost get to the last step. I want to add a realistic Water ripple using a displacement map. 

It is simple but, according to information and my tests, the Displacement feature in Affinity Photo needs work. right now it just produces jagged edges.

By the way Carl123, could you send me the Macro steps for this or is it best that I go through and reproduce them myself?

Thanks again for your diligent and effective effort on this. 

Go into the macro library, select the macro then right click, select edit macro.  This will take you into the macro so you can see the steps. I noticed that it only works for 200%. Personally it is much simpler to select layer, resize canvas, unlock, then [length]*2, thereby doubling the length.   Or perhaps you just want 3/4th, so [length]*1.75.   This doesn’t require a specific measure, pixels*2 or inches*1.5 or as was stated above pixels +250, whatever.

@p_mac Thank you for the input. Actually what I am working toward is a Macro that everyone can use to create very realistic water ripples in a reflection.

I'll need to create a new Action that includes the top image inverted on the bottom and then, using a Displacement Map, create the ripples. 

Right now, the Macro in Affinity Photo isn't really capable of doing it.

I will not know if the Ripple Idea is possible in Affinity Photo until the Macro function works better.

I can do this in PS and I even had it made into a PS Script.

For now, I want to take this Macro and take it as far as it will go and then wait on Serif to fix the Macro Tool.

I've looked at the basic structure of this Macro following the instructions you and V_KYR gave me and I believe I can work from that.

It is just a little faster if I have the complete Macro from carl123.

10 minutes ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

I will not know if the Ripple Idea is possible in Affinity Photo until the Macro function works better

You don't need macros to know if the ripple idea is feasible in Photo. You can figure that out manually.

You only need the macro support if the ripple idea works manually, to make it easier to apply.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell Hi Walt, sorry, in my writings I am not always explaining everything clearly.

What I am working on is a Macro that everyone can use to create a reflection with water ripples. It requires the use of a Displacement Map, the Displace filter, and it all has to work within a Macro.

I have this in PS and it works great. But the Displace Filter isn't working correctly with Affinity Photo.  

It just makes the image look jagged. 

I've been able to make a working Macro thanks to carl.123 and others along with some mods I added but no water ripples yet. Someone may have created a  Ripple Displacement Map for Affinity Photo. I just haven't found it. 

The ripple's need to be like small waves not circular.

There are many ways to create water ripples / reflections.  If you wait for the Displace Filter to be fixed it could take years

Find another way to create the water ripples you want then worry about the macro to do it automatically

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.