You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas Size changes in Percent

There are the same and even more possibilities in APh, see the online help about:

sizing.jpg.af08f47a0f8800b15716be726adbbc92.jpg

The "Document > Change Doxument size ..." panel:

canvas_size_vert_200.jpg.b93919bada0545209c7545f4818e092f.jpg

Maybe the Affinity Photo Workbook would be a useful companion for you here, in order to get a better overall overview of the software.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The above was document size, but expressions do of course also work for changing the canvas size ...

The displacement filter correction might be fixed during the APh 1.7.x beta phase, at least I hope so.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

@v_kyrI made many attempts to make this work. In order for it to work properly, I believe that both the width and height values would have to be changed.

For example, the height could be changed to 200% (that part works) but the width would have to be set at 100%. Presently, the program will not allow this.

Therefore it is impossible to create a Macro that will work on a variety of different size images. 

Did you clicked on the lock in the middle to open it and thus unconnect the horizontal and vertical size fields? - Works for me.

1 hour ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

With the lock unlocked, as soon as I tried to change the second value, the first value reverted back to the original value.

Not seeing that here.  I tested by unlocking first, changing the first value then the second; both remained as set and the canvas size changed.  I then tested by changing the first value, then unlocking, changed second value' both remained as set and the canvas size changed.

So not sure why yours does not work this way??

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I removed Affinity Photo and the Beta version. I went into regedit and removed all the keys that I could find using Affinity Photo as the search.

I downloaded a fresh version and installed Affinity Photo. No luck.

I uninstalled again, cleared Apdata and again cleared the Registry of anything Affinity Photo.

reinstalled-No luck.

I am at wits end on this.

5 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

@v_kyr Yes, thinking that might be the issue, I tried it several times. Maybe it's a PC issue.

With the lock unlocked, as soon as I tried to change the second value, the first value reverted back to the original value.

Do you mean probably something like percent to pixel values or the like? - It might recalculate the values into the new initial used size dimension then (aka 100 px will get 200 px etc.).

Otherwise a short screenrecording of the behavior for you on Win might show.

32 minutes ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

What has to happen is that I need to set the width of the image Canvas at 100% and the Height of the Image Canvas at 200%.

So far, I can't find a way to do that so I can make it into a Macro and apply it to images of different sizes. 

You probably will not be able to do that with a macro, until Serif reworks the macro facility.

Affinity macros tend to record the results of a calculation. So, for example, you could create a macro that unlocked the width and height so they could be separately adjusted, then multiplied the height by 2. Suppose you recorded that macro using an image with a height of 600px. The macro would record that you wanted to change the height to 1200px, rather than recording the "multiply height by 2" action that you wanted to record.

There have been some macros created that instead apply a Filter > Distort > Equations in order to resize images using an equation. But that's about all you can do, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, sadly macros do statically record sizes here, thus expressions are executes during recording. In other words sizes aren't calculated dynamically during a macro playback instead, which would make them generally usable for different document sizes.

Maybe one of you that has lot more influence over the folk at Affinity can get them to clean up and fix the things that are broken before the move forward into something either more exciting or of a minimum value. PS is an excellent place to observe how things are being done and identify the pitfalls associated with how things are working in Affinity now. 

Of course, it could be that they are happy to keep producing elements that work a little sometimes with the idea that "we will fix it someday".    

28 minutes ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

Maybe one of you that has lot more influence over the folk at Affinity can get them to clean up and fix the things that are broken before the move forward into something either more exciting or of a minimum value.

Somehow I doubt this, since I've never seen any statement about a concrete rework for the macro functionality here so far.

None of us has any more influence than any other of us, I'm afraid. Serif are following the feature requests, and improved macro support is a frequently requested enhancement. But only they know their intentions, their priorities, their resources, and their timeframes.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

In this case, it isn't just the Macro system that's a problem.

Even without trying to create a Macro (record) I can't make the changes to the Canvas Size values and have them stay.

At least two people have reported that it was working for them.

I've done everything I know to do. I still don't know if it is a PC issue only.

On another matter, this Forum, all of them, is a copout on the part of Serif.

A lot of great people who know a lot about the programs are, in most cases, doing a great job of solving many of the issues. However, without the input from Serif, there are many things that go unsolved and unexplained. That's unacceptable!

Personally, I was really excited to see products on the market that could revolutionize how we do our work. 

Consequently,  I've spent countless hours trying to learn a new product and do things I've been doing for years, but now, I might be able to do them in a better way.

I am extremely disappointed in what I have experienced thus far.

Thanks again for all your efforts. If nothing else, it's been a fun learning process.

9 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

I've done everything I know to do. I still don't know if it is a PC issue only.

I can assure you that it works on a PC. I have no way to record a video that will capture all the interactions, but I have just opened a photo and done the following steps:

1. Document > Resize Canvas...
  2. Click the center rotation center icon.
  3. Click the lock to uncouple the width and height boxes
  4. Entered 200% in the width box, and pressed enter
  5. Clicked Resize

The result was a canvas that is twice as wide as before, and the original height, with the existing picture centered in it.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I have no way to record a video that will capture all the interactions

@walt.farrell for shorter to demonstrate things you can use ScreenToGif  or see on GitHub too (ScreenToGif), it also always offers a portable small footprint version of that (ScreenToGif.2.16.Portable.zip) on Win. - Or use the free edition version of ActivePresenter which offers a lot for annotations and the like. Another small and free one is Monosnap here.

2 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

@walt.farrell The issue I have is that I want to do the same thing in Affinity Photo that I do in PS.

I want to set the width at 100% and the Height at 200%.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

4. Entered 200% in the width box, and pressed enter

Entering 200% in the Height box instead of the width box doesn't work for you?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

23 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Entering 200% in the Height box instead of the width box doesn't work for you?

It certainly does for me!  I've just tested it again with no problem: unlocked the aspect ratio, entered "200%" in the height box, clicked "Resize"; instant change to the required canvas dimensions.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

3 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

@walt.farrell The issue I have is that I want to do the same thing in Affinity Photo that I do in PS.

I want to set the width at 100% and the Height at 200%.

Well entering 100% into the width text box which shows let's say 600 px wouldn't change anything for the width here, since it will then remain to be the actual size (100% = 600 px, 200% = 1200 px, ...and so on ...).