You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta 1.7.0.231 Live Filter "Add Noise" not merged down

11 hours ago, altae said:

Just a quick bug report: The noise added by the Live Filter "Add Noise" disappears again if merged down to a new layer. Can be reproduced with any image.

I don't see that in a quick test. I think you should supply a sample image (ideally a .afphoto file) with the filter unmerged, and a screenshot before/after merge).

Also, don't forget to view your image at 100% zoom when you apply/adjust the filter. Other zoom levels may give inaccurate viewing results.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hm, are you sure you used the Live Filter and not the conventional filter for your tests? Because I am solely talking about the Live Filter version of "Add Noise". And attaching a file would be pretty useless in my opinion as it happens with all files, no matter if I use a Affinity Photo file, a tiff or a jpg file. I could of course add a screen shot if my description is not self explanatory but only later as I am currently not at home. And just to make sure: I am talking about merging everything down to a new layer without losing the layers beneath. I am not talking about merging everything to a single layer (and thus losing the layers beneath). I am quite surprised that there seems to be a problem to reproduce this as like I said on my machine (Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit) it happens every time I use the "Add Noise" Live Filter and try to merge the result down to a new layer. What's more it cannot be a preview issue as the noise is also missing from the exported file after having merged everything to a new layer.

Yes, I used a live filter.

Perhaps in not understanding how you're merging down to a new layer. That's part of why a screenshot showing your layers before and after would help.

Also, you did not mention whether you're viewing at 100% when you use the filter. Not using 100% zoom when applying effects is known to cause issues.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, you did not mention whether you're viewing at 100% when you use the filter. Not using 100% zoom when applying effects is known to cause issues.

It cannot be a preview issue as the noise is also not present in the exported file like I wrote in my post from an hour ago. I will provide a screen shot later.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long time without reply, I was very busy during the last weeks. But I finally found time to investigate the issue further and provide more precise information. First and foremost: I was wrong because it is in fact a display issue. The exported results are correct, they contain noise even if the image is merged to a new layer before the export. Sorry for that :58_disappointed_relieved:

Like I mentioned it's a display issue. What you need to do in order to reproduce the issue is the following. Take any image available and set Affinity Photo to a zoom level below 100 %. Add a "Add Noise" live filter and add some noise. Next merge everything to a new layer using the command "Merge Visible" (right click on the "Add Noise" live filter). Now the noise in the preview disappears. As soon as you deactivate the newly created layer the noise reappears. Now activate the layer above the live filter again and gradually zoom into the image. With every step you can see the noise reappearing gradually until you reach 100 % where there is no more difference between the merged layer on top and the live filter underneath.

I've also attached a few screen shots which should help to further clarify the situation.

P.S. I updated to the latest beta as you can see in the screen shots, the behavior is still the same.

1_Noise_visible.jpg

2_Merge_visible.jpg

3_Noise_not_visible_anymore_below_100_percent.jpg

4_Noise_visible_again_100_percent.jpg

• Staff

Hi altae,
When the zoom level is set to a value lower than 100% live filters/adjustments are dynamically applied to a low-resolution version of your work (called mipmaps) - we do this for performance reasons, to speed up the workflow/rendering within the application - and so what you see on screen is NOT what the filter would look if it was applied to the full size work - often it looks exaggerated.

When the zoom level is set to 100% or above on, live filters tend to display accurately - in these cases the live adjustments/filters are applied to the full size image directly and so there's no visible differences between what you see on screen and the real output.

Since some filters also display specific rendering traits when not displayed at 1:1 px (which includes zoom levels above 100%) I recommend to always check everything at 100% zoom.

I'm well aware of the fact that only 100 % view is accurate. Nonetheless it should not happen that merging a live filter to a new layer makes the preview of the effect disappear completely. This is also not the case with other live filters, e.g.the high pass filter or the highlights & shadows filter. Such a behavior is highly confusing in my opinion.

• Staff

Hi altae
When you merge the filter with the layer, the output becomes less noticiable because the merge process uses the full image size (instead of the lower resolution - mipmap- version used to display it before the rasterisation) to calculate the correct output and then resamples it again for screen rendering when you are seeing the image below 100% making the high frequency detail way less visible. If you perform the merge with the zoom equal or above 100% you should see no difference.

Some live filters (those which deal with detail mostly) are more prone to these "issues" than the ones that affect the image globally.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.