You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am new to Affinity and new to this world. I need to learn the simplest way to change the background color to my images. I small jewelry website and I am taking my own pictures on a white background and I want to change the background to totally white as the images come out looking grayish. Most of the stuff online is tutorials on photoshop and I need affinity help. I am attaching a simple image I took to try and practice on.

I have tried searching to no avail, I probably don't know the technical terms to find what I need.

thanks a lot for any help.

Heart-001  side view.jpg

• Staff

Hi Peter's Vault,

Welcome to the forums :)

There are a few ways of doing this, I've created a quick video below showing the 2 easiest methods in my opinion!

The first is to use Blend Ranges on the background layer, moving the third node (that is created after dropping the right node to the bottom corner) left or right allows for adjustment as to how much of the layer is blended with the layer beneath it - you can adjust this until you are happy with the results.

The second method is a little slower, but allows for more manual control. Using the Selection Brush Tool I selected all of the necklace and shadow it casted, refined the selection to add a feather - making the selection a little more 'natural' looking - and then inverted the selection. This means that I now have the background of the image selected, so I switched to the move tool and simply hit Delete on my keyboard, removing that part of the image. Then, as in the the first example, I added and filled a new pixel layer beneath the image to replace the background, this could of course be any colour you wish. 

Admittedly I rushed the work in the video, so you can be more precise in your own time.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

May I add, that if you're going to be doing a lot of I Product Photography you take a little time and learn how to properly set them up, and especially how to light them. You're example shot is a simple meter issue, where the camera's metering done what it is suppose to do, expose the image to a middle grey.

YouTube Product Photography Lighting Techniques

Learning this will save you hours in post processing.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

You can try a curves adjustment

chain2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.