You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes too pixelated - DESIGNER

Hey guys! So I was working fine and trying out new brushes on the pixel persona. Painted a whole bunch of things just fine with awesome definition and flow. Had a tea break and when I came back the brushes were different, super pixelated and really lacking the finesse I was able to work with before. This was literally out of the blue. I've tried several zooms, hardness, flow, with and without stabilizer, wet edges on and off, turn on and off both the software and my computer, switched to NVIDIA graphics instead of the preset, and still had super pixelated brushes. Tried to find an answer online and couldn't, I'm losing hope as we speak.

In the images, all the lines are vectors and all those textures were made with pixelated brushes. In the second image I use the same brush I used to paint the keyboard for you to see what I'm talking about, and in the background I used other brushes but still sharp and with that crispy smoothness we all love.

What can I do to get my awesome smooth brushes back?? Please help me out here! My workflow is getting severely damaged.

Thank you so much in advance!

Cheers,

Patricia

image.thumb.png.c1824073fdabdeaf714963cfad68198b.pngimage.thumb.png.c5c64764ac2ca3d4b05efe9902ecedbc.png

Hi, patriciamelvill,

I haven't the faintest idea how it might have happened, but it appears that the brush "dab" spacing and/or x - y spacing was altered. Select the brush, use the right mouse button "Edit Brush" menu, and reset the brush.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Yeah, to get the brush preset you are looking for, you need to use the Paint Brush Tool.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 2/12/2019 at 12:52 AM, patriciamelvill said:

Painted a whole bunch of things just fine with awesome definition and flow. Had a tea break and when I came back the brushes were different, super pixelated and really lacking the finesse I was able to work with before. This was literally out of the blue.

@Mark IngramThe actual reason also here (in Designer) is very likely an accidental tool-change by pressing the B-key twice. I suggest implementing the Shift-protection for accidental tool change suite wide. Further, I think you should consider inverting the default behaviour – one should have to check a box if one dislikes having to press Shift. I doubt that you will find a lot of users who will freak out. The OP didn't even want to use the tool cycle mechanism – obviously she wasn't even aware of that option: Patricia only wanted to pick a tool – the fact that it was already active before her tea break made the operation fail.

Please have someone  analyze such error patterns. One only needs to read this forum regularly and runs into them, pretty much on a daily basis.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:39 AM, hifred said:

@Mark IngramThe actual reason also here (in Designer) is very likely an accidental tool-change by pressing the B-key twice. I suggest implementing the Shift-protection for accidental tool change suite wide. Further, I think you should consider inverting the default behaviour – one should have to check a box if one dislikes having to press Shift. I doubt that you will find a lot of users who will freak out. The OP didn't even want to use the tool cycle mechanism – obviously she wasn't even aware of that option: Patricia only wanted to pick a tool – the fact that it was already active before her tea break made the operation fail.

Please have someone  analyze such error patterns. One only needs to read this forum regularly and runs into them, pretty much on a daily basis.

Hi, thanks for the comments. Unfortunately changing the default behaviour of the application is a thing which we rarely want to do. If 90% of people are accustomed to the way the current system works, and we invert the behaviour, we've now satisfied 10% of customers, and annoyed 90%. Don't forget - the forums aren't reflective of all our customers, it's a place where people come if they have problems (amongst other things). As such, the safest action we can take, is add a preference for the behaviour.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Unfortunately changing the default behaviour of the application is a thing which we rarely want to do

I do understand this notion - however we are still looking at the 1.x version, right :o) Even Photoshop in version xx changed how Ctrl+Z works, quite recently...

Of all those users who don't post in the forums - what scenario would you consider more likely: Relatively inexperienced users running into what happened to Patricia (neither being aware of the cause, nor of the recently introduced fix in Preferences).

Or experienced users who use a lot of keyboard shortcuts and even like the concept of stacked hotkeys - who at the same time get just mad about little behaviour change, which they may get rid of with one little checkmark in Preferences?

My personal preference is that software makers remain open for change - even on long established conventions :o)

To throw my two cents in, I think it makes more sense to not change the hotkeys from what they were at start. I think it was wrong of Adobe in the first place. There is quick access and then there is recognizable access. As a product made for everyday work, customers need to be familiar with the routine of their workstation. Change can be bothersome for many people; including my former college professor who was teaching Adobe at the time.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 9 months later...
On 2/11/2019 at 7:52 PM, patriciamelvill said:

Had a tea break and when I came back the brushes were different, super pixelated and really lacking the finesse I was able to work with before. This was literally out of the blue. I've tried several zooms, hardness, flow, with and without stabilizer, wet edges on and off, turn on and off both the software and my computer, switched to NVIDIA graphics instead of the preset, and still had super pixelated brushes. Tried to find an answer online and couldn't, I'm losing hope as we speak.

image.thumb.png.c1824073fdabdeaf714963cfad68198b.png

The same has been happening to me and to my friend. I introduced him to Affinity for his illustrations, and now he says he is losing faith trying to solve what is happening to the brushes.

Edited by Vanderhorst0014

15 hours ago, Vanderhorst0014 said:

The same has been happening to me and to my friend. I introduced him to Affinity for his illustrations, and now he says he is losing faith trying to solve what is happening to the brushes.

Looks like I had the wrong tool selected. Below the brush is the pixelated tool and I had that on by mistake. Took me forever to understand that we have 2 types of brushes: normal and pixelated. We can change from one to another with the B key, so it's pretty easy to make this mistake. Is this a suitable solution for you?

Ever since I found this info everything has been going amazing with affinity. 

Edited by patriciamelvill