You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug? Painting on Fill layer

1. Add fill layer above photo.
  2. Select paintbrush.
  3. Paint on fill layer -- pokes a hole through it.
  4. Try changing fill layer colour -- can't do this any more (stays same colour).

There's no indication of what's happened if this is deliberate -- the Fill layer is still flagged as such, no assistant popping up to say it's changed things to a pixel layer, etc.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

That's weird, the fill layer behaves like a mask.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

It seems that you will need to rasterize the fill layer in order to paint on it.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

The fill layer works correctly. It is a solid layer with one color and comes with a mask, so the only thing one can do with it is paintig the mask. You change change its color everytime (before rasterising) with the move tool selected, the brush tool work in this case only for/with the mask.

It's still confusing (hence perhaps a usability defect). I could not find a description in the help system of the effects I found.

Other notes:

• Painting black and white on it punches through and restores the fill colour.
  • Drag the layer to position as a mask on a pixel layer acts as a normal mask.
  • I can't find how to change the fill colour once it has been painted upon.
  • Recolour doesn't work to change the colour (as it does with a pixel layer).

Oh well. If it's not a bug then perhaps I should do an InAffinity video to describe the effects as 'feature'.

Any other attributes and variations I need to know about it?

Cheers...

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

First, it works the same way in 1.6, so it's not really a beta issue :)

Changing the color is easy. With the Fill layer selected in the Layer panel, select a color in the Color panel. Or, with the Fill layer selected, and the Move Tool selected, use the Fill color well in the Context menubar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

First, it works the same way in 1.6, so it's not really a beta issue :)

Changing the color is easy. With the Fill layer selected in the Layer panel, select a color in the Color panel. Or, with the Fill layer selected, and the Move Tool selected, use the Fill color well in the Context menubar.

Yes, this is the normal operation. However, after you paint on the fill layer (black punches through), it seems you can no longer change the fill layer colour. This can be confusing if you didn't realize you'd touched it with a brush.

I'm using 1.7 latest version and reporting bugs as I see or suspect them. I'm not checking vs 1.6. If it seems to be a bug in 1.7 then I'm guessing Chris will do what he needs to do.

Dave Straker

Fill layers seem to have have the same sort of embedded mask behaviour as Adjustment layers, correct? This sure may be very irritating when used to other programs.
They, in contrast to adjustment layers seem to lack the option to Alt-Click to make their mask visible for direct editing. I'm using the latest Win Beta. Can you confirm this?

15 minutes ago, hifred said:

Fill layers seem to have have the same sort of embedded mask behaviour as Adjustment layers, correct? This sure may be very irritating when used to other programs.
They, in contrast to adjustment layers seem to lack the option to Alt-Click to make their mask visible for direct editing. I'm using the latest Win Beta. Can you confirm this?

They seem a bit different to ordinary masks.

Sequence:

1. Open a photo layer.
  2. Fill layer above it, any colour.
  3. Paint black on fill layer -- you can see the photo below appearing through.
  4. Paint white on part of blacked area - the fill layer colour is restored.
  5. Alt-click fill layer -- you can no longer see photo below where you painted black.

So it seems you can alt-click, though rather than seeing a black/white mask:

• The fill layer colour is shown where black is not painted (rather than white).
  • The image layer below disappears.
  • A transparent 'checkerboard' appears in the 'masked' area where black is painted (rather than black).

But, to answer the question, after alt-clicking the fill layer, you can still paint black and white on it to enlarge and change the 'hole'.

Dave Straker

2 hours ago, dmstraker said:

However, after you paint on the fill layer (black punches through), it seems you can no longer change the fill layer colour

I can, using either the Color panel with the layer selected or the Context menu with the layer selected and the Move Tool. Only the areas you did not paint with black will change, of course, because the areas you painted with black are transparent.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

[Fill Layer Alt-clicked] The fill layer colour is shown where black is not painted (rather than white).

Confirmed.

15 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

The image layer below disappears.

Confirmed, but expected.

15 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

A transparent 'checkerboard' appears in the 'masked' area where black is painted (rather than black).

I see the the strokes I painted black in white colour (remember-Alt-Click mask view)

2019-02-12_20h14_05.thumb.jpg.e05b28900833794c5fc36cfe184aebf4.jpg

When adding a fill layer in an empty document one can see the Alt-Click-behaviour I described earlier.

46 minutes ago, hifred said:

One actually gets a Mask preview, but as the Fill colour remains visible it does not look as expected.

50 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

Though I still think it's a bug that you can no longer change the fill colour after painting on it.

Yeah, that should not be the case, as no rasterization is required for masking (at least one can mask image-layers without having to rasterize them).
Also the Alt-Mask-Preview of Fill-Layers looks like a bug to me. I see no reason to deviate from the rule here.

Thank you very much @>|<

This explains a lot – but how on earth are we supposed to memorize all these workflow-oddities?
Also the author of the linked video clip had misunderstood, that Fill-Layers do actually remain editable...

I have to admit that I'm heavily used to Photoshop – but doing the same things here doesn't contain a single step which makes me think.

Photoshops implementation which requires the User to click the Fill Layer-Swatch to me seems to be a clearly superior and more robust solution: This action may get performed with whatever tool active – also with the Brush-tool. As one targets the Fill-Layer it's unambiguous what tool we want to change the colour for – at the same time an unnecessary  – user performed – change of tools is cleverly avoided. It is really such little things which are tremendously important. Affinity apps are still full of steps which could get avoided when workflows were layed out smarter.

I still have not understood why in Affinity Photo Alt-clicking the Fill-Layer doesn't show a black and white mask.

2019-02-12_22h29_47.jpg

On 2/12/2019 at 8:25 PM, >|< said:

There is no bug there. Your inability to change the Fill layer's colour had nothing to do with the fact that its built-in mask had been edited. It was simply because the Paint Brush was active and, therefore, your attempts to change the colour were changing the colour (which is translated to alpha intensity) with which to paint on the built-in mask. If you switch to the Move Tool or Fill/Gradient Tool then you can change the Fill's colour.

Excellent! That's just what I needed to know. Thanks, @>|<. Obvious once you know how, of course.

Dave Straker

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.