You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frame spacing pop-up measurements

When using the Move Tool to move text or picture frames and you have highlighted a frame, you can then use the arrow keys (left, right, up, down) to move that frame in small increments - and a measurement value pops-up so you can monitor the spacing. Unfortunately, when working with either the Picture Frame Rectangle Tool or Frame Text Tool, the pop-up measurement isn't visible. Now there are some measurements when using either of those tools as you move the frames, but they are only useful for rough placement as you hold down the mouse button to move the frame - it is difficult to get an exact measurement. So to do a fine-tune movement, you have to switch to the Move Tool. Having had to do that hundreds of times, it occurred to me that if those spacing measurements were visible any time a frame is highlighted, then I wouldn't have to keep switching back and forth between a frame tool and the Move Tool to do fine-tuning of spacing. So that is a suggestion to consider, please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

APUB 1.7.0.270m OS X 10.13.6.

The measurements are "visible" to a certain extent, but the higher order number is often hidden by the frame handle. See screen shot. Most of the time, only a single digit is visible when seeing fractions. Using 12" x 12" pages so the view is 24" inches wide - a bit zoomed out. The zooming/placement of the distance could be better done. First screen shot shows the "7" of "7.9" hidden behind the frame handle. After zooming in, the next screen shot shows the numbers have a new position and "7.8" is visible.

Hidden High Order.jpg

Visible High Order after zoom.jpg

Check this - might be confused here. The Text Tool does not show measurements to its nearest neighbor when you are moving the text. I can't screen capture it because you have to hold the mouse key down and be actively moving the text frame. I will try to give an example:

on the page I have, from top to bottom: picture frame, text frame, text frame, picture frame, text frame. When I grab a line of the bottom text frame with the Text Tool, the measurement and "alignment" (pop-up) line shows the distance to the text below the top picture, not the one next to the text frame. Clicking the picture just above the text and then going back to the text frame at the bottom gives the same result. So to actually see the distance to the nearest frame, I have to switch to the Move Tool. Then the distance shows up for accurate adjustment. So there are two problems reported in this post - moving frames with text tool measurements and hidden higher-order digits in the measurements when zoomed way out or using a large page size.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.