You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unify resize behaviour with and w/out shift key

I would like to suggest to unify behaviour of resizing of placed object with and w/out shift key

Form another topic on this forum I know there is preference setting for this.

When Preferences > Tools > Move tool Aspect Constrain is set to  Do not Constrain by Default, it behaves as it should: without shift you can use any node to freetransform, with shift key and any node it keeps the proportions all the time. So I am using this options right now, as it is only logical one.

But when this option in Preferences > Tools > Move tool Aspect Constrain is set to  Automatic or Constrain by Default, it behaves not consistently.

When You resize the object using corner node, it keep proportions of placed images, when side node tool is used it doesnt. So far so good.

But when shift ke is pressed, the behaviour changes: shift and corner node draging does free transform, shift + side node draging keeps the proportions.

I have found this confusing and hard to get used to.

I believe it should keeep proportions when any node is used, draging of any node with shift key should not constrain proportions. Or contrary.

But mixed behaviour is very confusing.

Specialy when another logic is applied in Do not Constrain by Default setting.

Another thing is, that to apply changes in this setting, I need to restart application. That is a bug or not?

• Staff

Hi lexislav, Achim63,

Thanks for raising this. I believe that when this setting was implemented it was meant to be used with bounding box corner controls: usually we don't use the side controls to resize proportionally an object, that's why there's modifier keys for that specific purpose.

What's happening is that the logic of the controls affected by the  Move Tool Aspect Constrain setting are conflicting with the key modifiers of the bounding box side controls. We may have to rethink this. 

But if you look at that setting (Move Tool Aspect Constrain) as only applicable to corner controls, it all makes sense and works as expected.

You don't have to restart the application for the Move Tool Aspect Constrain setting take effect. Just make sure you don't have an object selected (or if you have, deselect and select it again and the new setting will be honoured).

Hi Meb, thanks for quick answer, specially for tip to unselect the objects :-) that made the preference swithcing much faster :-)

Yes, You are right,if You look at Move tool aspect Constrain setting as only aplicable to corner controls, it makes sense. Or if You are new to this kind of software,

However I have tried to fight myself on this when using Affinity in past days and finally I have decided to discuss it, as I wasnt able to get used to it and still feel it like unfortunate solution.

I believe a lot of users are (and will be) coming from other software and may struggle on this as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this, its also been bothering me a lot. The shift key modifier should either preserve aspect ratio by default with all elements, whether they're pixels layers, vector shapes, text, or placed graphics - or vice versa.

• Staff

True, I also think it's confusing that placed pictures behave differently in this regard than other elements.

@Achim63,

Placed pictures are honouring the setting you choose in Move Tool Aspect Constrain setting. Isn't this working for you?

Make sure you deselect and reselect the placed picture after changing from one setting to another.

Glad I found this, its also been bothering me a lot. The shift key modifier should either preserve aspect ratio by default with all elements, whether they're pixels layers, vector shapes, text, or placed graphics - or vice versa.

@Izzy,

The issue we are discussing here is different and pertains only to rescaling objects using the side controls of the bounding box.

You can set the behaviour you want going to Affinity Designer ▹ Preferences, User Interface tab (or Tools tab if you are using the latest Beta) and selecting it from the Move Tool Aspect Constrain drop down:

• The Automatic option will constrain the resize depending on the type of object selected. For objects with an intrinsic aspect ratio (like images or text frames) the proportion will be kept when you resize them. For the others, it will not (you must press ⇧ (shift) to keep their proportions. This option is selected by default.

• Constrain by default will resize objects proportionally no matter their type.  You will have to press ⇧ (shift) to override the constrain.

•  Do no constrain by default will force you to press ⇧ (shift) to resize objects proportionally no matter their type.

You should select one of the last two options, to make Affinity behave like you're describing.

@MEB
Thanks for the response. I may have brushed over this too quickly.
I tried what you are referring to you before adding my post, and it didn't originally apply to everything. For example fonts would continue to maintain aspect ratio, and shapes like a simple rectangle didn't when grabbing the corner - and resizing it. despite having selected 'preserve aspect ratio" as the default. Just to make sure I wasn't being silly, I tried again, and it seems to work =D

Didn't think to restart the app, which may have made a difference.