You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to change text box fill

I am having problems changing the fill colour of a shape text box (the grey trapezoid in the picture below).

I have clicked on the box itself and the text isn't highlighted, but whatever I do, it is the text fill which changes, rather than the text BOX fill.

Text box fill problem.JPG

17 minutes ago, ekemp said:

(the grey trapezoid in the picture below)

Well according to what you wrote this is a shape and thus not a usual textbox, thus try to change the trapozoid's fill color instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

9 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well according to what you wrote this is a shape and thus not a usual textbox, thus try to change the trapozoid's fill color instead.

But according to the Layers Panel it's a Text Frame, I think :)

@ekemp: View > Studio > Text Frame should open the Text Frame panel. That's where you control the stroke/fill of the Frame, vs the stroke/fill of the text within the frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But according to the Layers Panel it's a Text Frame, I think

Don't know didn't looked, either way the OP should recognize and know what sort of layer it finally is, shape or textbox.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Why can't I find this "Text Frame Panel"? Following the path in Walt.farrell's comment, I do not see anything called "Text Frame" under the Studio. I have looked all over, searched the web, others help sites. Spend close to an hour looking. I haven't found anyplace that shows what this panel actually looks like or where it is.

Not sure if you mean something else here, but what Walt meant for Publisher is probably the "View > Studio > Text Frame" panel. Which looks like that ...

textframe.thumb.jpg.2335d89e7c3a20a089610e1c0d5942f3.jpg

Maybe I should add, that with this then a selected text frames behavior can be controlled (fill color, stroke color, etc.).

23 minutes ago, pgt said:

Sorry, I'm working in Designer. How does one do the equivalent (fill color for a text box, etc.) in Designer?

There is no equivalent there in Designer. In Designer you have no fill or stroke for the frame itself, instead you will need to place it onto a colored shape or region. A common way is to create some colored shape there, duplicate the shape, and change then the top shape into a text shape for text input. Afterwards you will have to group or compound those two layers so they stick together.