You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Horizontal Snapping Broken

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature that I can't figure out how to undo, but I've somehow ruined my ability to easily make horizontal lines by holding Shift with the pen tool. Shift+drag still confines things to 45 degree intervals, the problem is that the intervals aren't aligned with the X-Y axis of the page. No horizontal snapping, no vertical snapping. Now, this is only happening to my current document. If I make a new doc, the snapping is as it should be. But I can't find the option I apparently accidentally changed, and none of the resets I've hit (for the pen tool, rotation) have fixed the problem.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!

GlitchDupe.afpub

Edited by LioButtons
Added file.

I think you might have pressed the Alt key ⌥ this ignores snapping, press it again.

You can find this info out if you look at the bottom of the Affinity window, this gives you context info regarding modifier keys.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Unfortunately not the issue! Shift+Drag still results in snapping (vs. free movement of Alt), it's just that the 'axis' of the snapping has shifted. ie. compared to the alignment of the page it'll snap lines to, something like 15deg, 60deg, 105deg, rather than 0, 45, 90 etc.

What about creating a new document and copy/pasting the work into the new document?

When you have a workable document upload the file so we can take a look.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, LioButtons said:

Unfortunately not the issue! Shift+Drag still results in snapping (vs. free movement of Alt), it's just that the 'axis' of the snapping has shifted. ie. compared to the alignment of the page it'll snap lines to, something like 15deg, 60deg, 105deg, rather than 0, 45, 90 etc.

Try

View > Reset Rotation

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Ok, this issue is linked to the grid, setting the grid in Grid and Axis Manager to Automatic will allow you to draw horizontal lines.

If you want to keep the cube arrangement set the Horizontal Axis to Add for Snapping, see image below.

287700813_ScreenShot2019-02-13at19_34_19.png.a1774ac3c0e32a96d9646db72e8d8e23.png

To understand what was happening, if you look at the Axis image under Additional axis setup the pen was being constrained to the off horizontal angled line. If you want vertical snapping as well you will need to change the Vertical Snapping to Add for snapping too.