You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refresh old pictures - Alte Bilder auffrischen

I own many old slides, which are partly bleached or have a strong color cast. At least some of them I would like to scan and then refresh the colors again. I have tried various things, but the results are not very satisfactory. Which procedure do you recommend? Auto Levels and Auto Color Correction will not produce the desired result.H_1960_261.thumb.jpg.be33d8c8a448c9447317261c0e053048.jpg

Ich besitze viele alte Diapositive, die teilweise ausgebleicht sind oder einen starken Farbstich haben. Wenigstens einzelne davon möchte ich scannen und dann die Farben wieder auffrischen. Verschiedenes habe ich schon versucht, aber die Ergebnisse sind wenig zufriedenstellend. Welche Vorgangsweise empfehlt ihr? Auto-Tonwertkorrektur und Auto-Farbkorrektur bringen nicht das gewünschte Ergebnis.

The following two shots show wrong colors.

Die beiden folgenden Aufnahmen zeigen falsche Farben.

H_1960_215.thumb.jpg.e954cfcbb1f18aed76b1a4282cb94c4c.jpg

H_1960_02.thumb.jpg.361eaf6d9959d9a998e268a31c1ced4b.jpg

For suitable suggestions for color correction, I would be grateful.

Für passende Vorschläge zur Farbkorrektur wäre ich dankbar.

Grüße
Guzzi

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532

It's really difficult if you have a very strong colour cast, but if it's not too bad, try this:
With the colour picker, sample an area that should be white. Draw a square over the picture, fill it with this colour. Invert the colour (Control + I). Set the blend mode to "colour", then adjust the opacity until it looks as good as you can get it. Then make adjustments to the image with white balance, saturation, etc.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I have a macro that helps removes color cast:

Steps:
Duplicate layer
Invert duplicated layer
Run Average Blur on duplicated layer
Change duplicated layer to Soft Light

Repeat steps on original layer if needed and adjust opacity. Picture below was after two iterations.  Again, it's quicker if you record steps and save as macro. You may need to mask certain areas out (i.e. see uniforms in 2nd picture - did not mask) to reduce coloring areas that you don't want colored. 

The 3rd image shows masking on darkest areas and use of White balance filter.

Edited by Mesquito
Clarification - added corrected masked photo

First of all I would perform a white balance adjustment for those then go further for lighting/contrast, tonal color adjustments, denoise etc. - Zuerst würde ich einmal einen Weißabgleich machen (via Ebene -> Neue Anpassungsebene -> Weißabgleich) dann Belichtung/Kontrast, Tonwertkorrekturen, entrauschen ... etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

After I stepped away for a while and looked back at the photos , I realized that they still had a color cast after running the macro. Here's a better example adding some white balance as well as a curves adjustment after macro. I realize there is some additional tweaking you can do. It's not perfect, but it's the process that I find most useful for removing color casts from old photos. I hope it helps.

Hallo Mesquito!

That looks pretty good. I got the macro and will try to beautify my bad pictures. Many Thanks.

Das sieht schon ziemlich gut aus. Ich habe mir das Makro geholt und werde versuchen, meine schlecht gewordenen Bilder zu verschönern. Vielen Dank.

Thanks also to v-kyr

Dank auch an v-kyr

Beste Grüße
Guzzi

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532