You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have just clipped a rectangular photo to an ellipse. I now want to apply the ellipse transparency tool to soften the edges of the ellipse but it is not doing it. The tool handles are visible and moveable but no transparency is being applied. Why?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I think I have solved it! I grouped the photo and ellipse after clipping and now the transparency tool works. Is correct or a fluke?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I can do the same Jackamus so not a fluke, not sure on the mechanics of why. I applied the transparency to the group not the ellipse that does the clipping, is that how you did yours?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi jackamus :)

This is expected behaviour, when applying the transparency gradient to the ellipse, this affects the Fill of the ellipse only - which it technically does not have as it's being used as a clipping path.

You'll need to either apply the transparency to the image directly, or as you've mentioned if you group both layers first. This ensures the transparency is applied to both the ellipse and the image, hence it provides the desired outcome!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I completed the clip and then grouped.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Thanks for the technical answer Dan.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Actually that is what I did but for a different reason. I wanted the transparency effect to be very narrow. So I moved the node, for changing the width of the effect, as far as it would go which was still too wide. I then created an ellipse, with no fill, gave it a suitable stroke thickness and with the same colour as the background. I then applied a Gaussian blur and aligned it over the top of the photos ellipse.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Just to add to my reply - I tried making the ellipse twice the size I needed in the hope that when I reduced it back down to the correct size after applying the transparency, the effect would be twice as narrow but it wasn't it was still the same width. I've noticed this before that transparency doesn't scale.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0