I have just clipped a rectangular photo to an ellipse. I now want to apply the ellipse transparency tool to soften the edges of the ellipse but it is not doing it. The tool handles are visible and moveable but no transparency is being applied. Why?

Mac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

AD version 1.6.0

I think I have solved it! I grouped the photo and ellipse after clipping and now the transparency tool works. Is correct or a fluke?

AD version 1.6.0

I can do the same Jackamus so not a fluke, not sure on the mechanics of why. I applied the transparency to the group not the ellipse that does the clipping, is that how you did yours?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

Hi jackamus :)

This is expected behaviour, when applying the transparency gradient to the ellipse, this affects the Fill of the ellipse only - which it technically does not have as it's being used as a clipping path.

You'll need to either apply the transparency to the image directly, or as you've mentioned if you group both layers first. This ensures the transparency is applied to both the ellipse and the image, hence it provides the desired outcome!

Actually that is what I did but for a different reason. I wanted the transparency effect to be very narrow. So I moved the node, for changing the width of the effect, as far as it would go which was still too wide. I then created an ellipse, with no fill, gave it a suitable stroke thickness and with the same colour as the background. I then applied a Gaussian blur and aligned it over the top of the photos ellipse.

AD version 1.6.0

Just to add to my reply - I tried making the ellipse twice the size I needed in the hope that when I reduced it back down to the correct size after applying the transparency, the effect would be twice as narrow but it wasn't it was still the same width. I've noticed this before that transparency doesn't scale.

AD version 1.6.0