You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffinityPublisher (Beta) for important projects?

Hello together

Can I already use AffinityPublisher 1.7.0.227 (Beta) for important projects?

We're writing a new book and we need to be sure that the data will be transferred cleanly in future AffinityPublisher beta versions.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you in advance for a statement from Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Best regards
André

Hi there,

and welcome here … :)

Without the intention to anticipate an “official” answer, I doubt the Serif staff will tell you anything different from what is said, and quite clearly so, at the beginning of each new Beta thread. Quote:

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

I am sure you read the “total loss of any documents” bit … personally, I would believe what they are saying here … ;)

Alex

3 hours ago, Alibre Design said:

Can I already use AffinityPublisher 1.7.0.227 (Beta) for important projects?

You need be be careful. You need to pick your fights.

A lot of people have used Publisher for "important projects" without any problem but those who did so also accepted potential loss of information.

In the end you know best whether a given project is worth the risk and whether you can recreate it using another tool if need be, time permitting.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

If you do decide to use Publisher for any important work, I would suggest always keeping a PDF version as a "backup" in case you need to try to recover it in another application. (Might not be perfect, but better than nothing!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 hours ago, Alibre Design said:

We're writing a new book and we need to be sure that the data will be transferred cleanly in future AffinityPublisher beta versions.

I concur with the other forumsters above but I want to add another thought. If you were doing a flyer or anything other that has only a short time of use you certainly can accomplish a good layout already.

But in the case of a book that needs to be preserved and edited over a longer period of time I would hesitate to do this with the current beta. It is just too risky that you are loosing some of your work. Not because of missing capabilities of APub, but because of the unfinished state of the software.

Just my 2cent.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

5 minutes ago, dominik said:

It is just too risky that you are loosing some of your work.

We have already seen situations where a file created in one of the beta releases would not open in a later beta release. While Serif undoubtedly tries to prevent that situation, and might be able to help with recovery, I wouldn't risk it for a long-term project.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When it is ready for an initial release, meaning no obvious bugs with initial features, no UI glitches, all localization is done right ... and so on.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry, that you won't get. Neither by Serif nor anyone else here in the forum. Bugs - and APub still has plenty of them - tend to appear always at the most inconvenient time... (= two days before the intended launch date). Therefore Serfi has chosen the best strategy: to keep quiet about that. I know, that does not help... But with PagePlus X9 already installed you have a capable fall-back at hand.

The best way is to export your projects to PDF. In any case you'd able to open it in future versions. 

I tried out to work with APublisher without any loss. It work great! Yees.

PDF can be opened with ADesigner, Photos or Page Plus X9, thus your work  will be not lost forever.

On my side I use APublisher everyday to crerat covers of books and flyers. never encountered a crash!!! 

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

But … and please don’t forget this when creating a book … all text flow between text frames will be cut when re-opening a file from PDF. :)

Yes... it's a huge limitation in this case! Page Plus X9 isn't better on that! or any tools.

For a customer I needed to open a file he created with LibreOffice to make the layout of his book. He needed to remove some folios on blank pages and few light adjustments here and there. With APublisher I could do the job without difficulties. Even better than using Acrobat Pro!

Of course, in this very case text flow was ineffective but all blocs were intact at the right place, texts with font and illustrations as well.

APublisher can be a comprehensive tool for layout designer and printer!

So, we need a lot of functions AP lacks right now. But, don't forget: it's only a beta!!!! Even better than the very first Indesign versions (1, 1.5 and 2)!