You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nearly perfect opening of a complex PDF

Windows 10, 32 GB ram, Beta Af-Publisher 1.7.0.238

This morning, I opened many PDFs in Af-Publisher and was astonished, how good these files looked and how bad my own. So I started to make experiments.

I found out that the import of PDFs is nearly perfect if the texts contain no hyphenation and are all aligned to the left.

I have an example out of Microsoft Publisher 2006 in the original layout and now adapted as mentioned, as well. So if you not only have a PDF to convert but also the software that produced it, you can continue working with the PDF in Af-Publisher without big problems.

Bad opening/import of the originally produced pdf: original.afpub

Nearly perfect opening/import of the reduced pdf: fliesstext.afpub

You probably dont't see the difference at first sight.

There's no posssibility to work with the original pdf: wrong box sizes and many little blue poisoned characters you cannot delete.

original.jpg.2e95b6a7288f3662a049a8616356a449.jpg

Normal text to edit in AfPublisher if the original text is reduced.

fliesstext.jpg.64730198bc60299c030f27d0cf39dce8.jpg

It looks like the little blue poisoned characters are where there are soft returns in the text. Do these appear in the final version (exported pdf or print)?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 month later...

I am sorry Sir, but it's the same problem as in earlier versions.

Here two passages you cannot correct inside the Affinity Publisher without access to the software that created the PDF (the PDF itself may be too complex).

wrong-frame-1.jpg.4bdc0983c580f5d63efa3eee5151e16f.jpg

wrong-frame-2.jpg.d65f236b56a80a90ddfa5f8f77b23141.jpg

We still have to follow the process (the workaround) I described on September 24, 2018:

This is not bad, although not exactly a successful import of PDFs we like to create.

Best wishes, Ueli.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.