You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reinhold Schable. Panorama Stitching Problems.

What is the panorama of?

is it very light or very dark?

This can happen if the stitcher cannot pick out identifiable points to marry images together, it might be worth uploading the panorama files to we can take a look.

Change the title of the post to reflect your question, you'll get more response. :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A crucial factor is: how much overlap is there between the adjacent images? You should aim for at least 20% and preferably more.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I've tried three different images of mixed contrast and shapes. They are B&W scans of 8x20" negatives, done in two passes on an Epson V700 scanner. one pass is erect, the second pass is flipped around to fit the scan area. They overlap about 1/4".  File sizes are about 20~30 MB. I flip each half for right/left up/down orientation before trying to combine them. I've tried converting them to .tiff to see if image format makes a difference...nope...

Any preferences and/or settings that are needed???

Thanks

Reinhold

1/4" isn't much to be honest, the overlap needs to be larger than that, as John Rostron says at least 20% of the width of each image is a good start, this allows for vertical and horizontal alignments. Is there ant chance you could upload a set for us to look at?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Ugh, scanning negatives means they'e got to be flat on the 8x10" scanner table.

Scrabbling around with a negative that's twice as long as the scanner, all the while avoiding scratches and fingerprints makes excessive overlapping an impractical solution.

I currently "place" the scans onto Canvas Draw (a swiss army knife graphics program). I jockey the two scans into alignment, then export the results as a .jpg file.

The only gripe is that data gets lost with each transfer and file swap.

I'm hoping that Affinity Photo is truly "one stop shopping", just let me  get two images onto one large 8x20" canvas so I can do the aligning...

I tried it last night, (copy & paste) but Affinity won't let me do fine control image placement on the canvas.

Reinhold

Provided that your two images are properly aligned, Affinity Photo should be able to stitch them even with the small overlap. Using the up and down arrow keys, you can move the selected layer one pixel at a time which should allow you sufficiently fine control.

Given the negative size of 8" by 20" and the scanner size of 8" by 10", I would make four (or possibly six) passes. Four would be with each of the negative corners in  the corresponding scanner plate corner. The other two would be half-way. If the negative bends up on the non-flush side, you can trim this off the scan area.

Affinity's Panorama tool should be able to stitch these images.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thank's John,

The only rub is that affinity won't accept the scans that I've been able to load into the left (images) window...

When I click the " Stitch Panorama" button, the pinwheel spins a few seconds, then a pop-up says "no panoramas found". grrrrr....

Somethings missing, it's frustrating.

Reinhold

Could you possibly upload  scaled-down versions (as 8-bit png or jpg) of the files you are trying to stitch together? We can then see if there is anything in the images that is causing the problem. It would help if you can say how much they have been scaled down.

John