You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi ldharris84,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
They are not being identified correctly because the path you have set is for the Nik Collection stand alone apps, not for the plugins. Check the following video tutorial: Installing Nik Plugins (macOS). Pay attention to the part that starts at the 29:00s where you have to create a custom folder where the plugins files will be installed (assuming you don't have another host app already installed like Photoshop for example). It's the path to this folder that should be filled in the Plugin Search Folders section. Follow the rest of the video to set up Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section and everything should then work as expected. Let me know if you still have issues.

NOTE: Please consider changing your Forum username to something else to prevent spammers from harvesting your e-mail. To do it go here and set a new username or click your username in the top right of this forum's page, select Account Settings, click on the Display Name link on the left and change/set a new username (on the right).

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to install the Nik Collection following the instructions in the video tutorial.  I have the custom desktop folder with plugins. I do not get the option for an Adobe Photoshop Custom application.

What am I missing? 

If I continue without that, then I complete the Nik Collection installation, add it to Affinity Photoshop (* plugin search folder added, global authorization, and allow unknown plugins),I see nothing in my detected plugins.

668480551_ScreenShot2019-02-25at11_27_44AM.png.d34c18a71ef35508b3deb7a0190ad10e.png

• Staff

Hi Celestine,
Can you post a screenshot of the contents of the desktop folder you have created? I believe what you have there are the .app files (the stand alone versions of the plugins), not the plugin files themselves and thus they are not being detected since we need to point Affinity Photo to the actual plugin files.

Please pay attention to the part of the video that starts at the 29:00s where you have to create a custom folder (where the plugin files will be installed) clicking the plus sign in the Nik Collection Installer and pointing to the custom folder you have to create manually (on the Desktop or in the Applications folder as you prefer - the video uses a folder in the desktop). After clicking the plus sign and pointing to this folder (you have created) you should see the Adobe Photoshop Custom entry as in the video during the Nik installation. Then proceed according to the video instructions. This is the step I believe you missed.

• Staff

Click the Plus sign on that screenshot and browse/point it to the folder you have manually created on your desktop. Since you have no hosts installed (like in the video tutorial) you have to create manually a folder on your desktop then click that plus button in that screenshot and tell/point the installer to that folder so it can place/install the plugin files there.

Yes, I have done that. But there is no "Adobe Photoshop Custom" entry.

you said..."After clicking the plus sign and pointing to this folder (you have created) you should see the Adobe Photoshop Custom entry as in the video during the Nik installation. Then proceed according to the video instructions. This is the step I believe you missed."

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 12.33.30 PM.png

Hi @MEB

Is the latest version of Nik compatible with Affinity photo beta .110?

Would like to give it a run and see if it does what people said it does.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

2 hours ago, Celestine said:

Yes, I have done that. But there is no "Adobe Photoshop Custom" entry.

I am not exactly sure why in the video there is what James Ritson says "is apparently a Photoshop custom 1 directory" at the "Compatible Host" step, but he does say that it is important to click continue to go to the "Destination Select" step. Your screenshot for that step shows the expected destination path (for you, /Users/julia/Desktop/Nik Collection) but at that point there is a difference between your screenshot & the video:
1573432202_standardInstallationscreen.jpg.e25e7b35319bb1f838f4575296651098.jpg

This makes me wonder if you are using something other than the old Nik Collection installer Google made available for free; or if you are, maybe that you have already installed the apps at path Macintosh HD ▶︎ Applications NIK Collection (like is shown in the second screenshot of the first post).

If you are using the old Google installer, the dmg file mounted on the desktop should be named "nikcollection-full-1.2.11.dmg" like this:
1524589714_dmgfileondesktop.jpg.f484709f7651e169c3a3c1279e6a26d8.jpg

If it is a different version with a different name, please tell us what it is.

But if instead the name is the same, just click the "Install" button & see if after the install completes you have the plugins installed in your Desktop/Nik Collection folder, probably in a subfolder named "Google" and/or in subfolders named for each of the plugins.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Celestine,
The confusion here comes from where the files are being installed.

I advise you to uninstall the Nik Collection and start again. You can download the latest free Google version from here.

1. First create a folder on your desktop for the plugin files.

2. Start the installer and go up to the license part.

3. In the Compatible Host section click the Plus sign and browse/point it to the folder you have manually created on your desktop then click Open in that Finder dialog. At this point you should see the Adobe Photoshop Custom entry. Click Continue in the Nik Installer to go to the Destination Selection

4. In the Destination Selection section - don't change the default path - which is Applications/Nik Collection. This is where the standalone application files will be installed. You have changed this path previously - thus the issues you are having.

5. Continue with the installation until the end.

6. The Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins configuration in you screenshot above is correct assuming the folder you created manually on your desktop is called Nik Collection.

• Staff
13 hours ago, Uncle Mez said:

Hi @MEB

Is the latest version of Nik compatible with Affinity photo beta .110?

Would like to give it a run and see if it does what people said it does.

Hi Uncle Mez
See here for details. All that still applies to Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.7.0.110 (Mac).

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 6:36 PM, MEB said:

Hi ldharris84,
They are not being identified correctly because the path you have set is for the Nik Collection stand alone apps, not for the plugins. Check the following video tutorial: Installing Nik Plugins (macOS). Pay attention to the part that starts at the 29:00s where you have to create a custom folder where the plugins files will be installed (assuming you don't have another host app already installed like Photoshop for example). It's the path to this folder that should be filled in the Plugin Search Folders section. Follow the rest of the video to set up Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section and everything should then work as expected. Let me know if you still have issues.

NOTE: Please consider changing your Forum username to something else to prevent spammers from harvesting your e-mail. To do it go here and set a new username or click your username in the top right of this forum's page, select Account Settings, click on the Display Name link on the left and change/set a new username (on the right).

Nevermind.  Seems I should read a little more.  

• 2 years later...

I have a MacBook pro 2015 with the latest software Monterey and want to install Nik Collection 2012 within Affinity (latest version). When I press the + button at the compatible host screen, I get the message, that the there is no access to the „open and save“ service of the Mac. This means, that I cannot select the file (Nik for Affinity) which I have created before. When I ignore that step, I get the download of the file Nik Collection but I cannot find the file, which I need for the first line in the Affinity plugin settings. Any idea, what I can do?