You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If I have a raster bitmap image, how would I go about selecting all pixels with (or within a tolerance of) a particular colour? My aim, on this occasion, was to make those pixels transparent.

I tried to do a flood fill with flood fill colour set to transparent but the resulting behaviour (black and grey random shapes) wasn't helpful.

Is there a neat way to do this?

TY!

Under the top "Selection" menu there are some other color selection options available (color range red/green/blue, tonal selections, mark selected color) beside the magic wand selection.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi ExFireworksUser,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can use the process you described in the latest Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.0.-110) and everything should work as you'd expect (on Mac at least - not sure the changes were already implemented on Windows). Are you using a Mac or Windows computer?

37 minutes ago, ExFireworksUser said:

PS. I found the select -> sampled colour. Did that then hit delete. And it removed entire 'objects' as opposed to removing the selection. :(

Make sure, in the Layer panel, that the layer shows as a Pixel layer rather than (Image), which is an embedded non-raster layer. Typically you get those when you do a File > Place or use the Place Image tool. You can't operate on them as pixels without rasterizing them, for example by right-clicking on them in the Layers panel and choosing Rasterize.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah Ok Designer, then make sure it's a (pixel) layer. You may want to duplicate and hide the initial background layer, in order to keep a copy of that. Change into the Pixel persona. Once you have the sample color selection you can remove (delete) the selection, which removes the pixels and gives transparent background areas for those. Or instead use on the color selection some appropriate adjustment (like "Layer > New Adjustment > Channel Mixer"), there with the Channel mixer you can influence just the Alpha channel and thus the transparency of the color selection.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2