You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawings LInes on a sketch

I do a lot of technical drawing and wish to add titles with lines pointing to the parts on the drawing. I have a lot of difficulty using the Pen Tool which in principle ought to be very easy.

Most of the time, after I draw one line and then start another, the first one disappears etc etc until all I have left is the last one. After much fiddling all of a sudden it will work but it is getting the right fiddle to get to that point and so far I am just perplexed.

John

42. Fire Box Arrangement.PNG

What do you mean by a screen recording? Not sure I can do this anyway.

The original drawings are created from a CAD package and screens I compose from the parts of the drawings are saved as PNG files (see previously attached picture). These are then opened with Affinity Photo and saved as an Affinity file, to which I add text frames. It is when I add the lines to go from the test frames to the part that I hit these peculiar issues.

John

The lines are showing in the layers panel, if I select one of them the line shows up surrounded by its bounding box, then disappears again when I select something else. This sort of indicates to me that it is hiding behind a layer or something similar but no matter how much I fiddle and reset I have found no sequence yet which resets this.

The line width is definitely set with a stroke width of 0.8 mm. One thing I have noticed is that when a line is going to be permanent, it seems matginally thicker when boing drawn, and then I know the system has reset!

JOhn

• Staff

Hi John Bateson,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Select one of the lines that disappear when you click somewhere else, then click the stroke width dropdown in the context toolbar (see screenshot below). Make sure the line has a width applied. If the line still disappears can you please upload the .afdesign file using this link for us to take a look please? Thanks.

stroke_width.jpg.8bb159a5711ab68984027ebe1bd6993e.jpg

Some progress - maybe.

It seems that on all the lines that disappear the line width has been set to zero in spite of 0.8 being selected. If I select one of these missing lines by selecting an area and then click, the line width has been set to zero and setting it back to 0.8 makes the line always visible.

I also found, quite by accident, that if I had a line disappear, select TEXT and click on the drawing, but don't enter any text. Then select the pen tool and 'Hey Presto' all the lines become permanent!

Confused I am, but getting there.

John