You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Back to Basic Product Needs

Thus far, I have observed three significant issues with both the current Beta and release versions of Affinity Photo.

They include the following:

1.       The Macro has very limited capabilities. Kind of useless except for the most mundane actions.

2.       When an image is opened, it appears as a docked image and the frame around it is not collapsed around the image. This is a big pain and time consuming if you want to display multiple images.

3.       A variety of settings that should remain set by the user revert to the factory settings. For example. Pixels vs. Inches, Refine settings, and many more.  More lost time

Affinity Photo appears to be a product advertised as a replacement for PS. While it has many great features, it lacks several basic functions that I suspect go way beyond my little list.

1 minute ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

Affinity Photo appears to be a product advertised as a replacement for PS.

Not by Serif, that I have seen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I agree with the macros being limited thus far.

@walt.farrell

while technically true, It appears that its sometimes quoted and linked to outside reviews on Twitter, Facebook and other official Affinity accounts.
an example how it looks like on Facebook;

lyytJ5G.jpg

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

9 minutes ago, myclay said:

while technically true, It appears that its sometimes quoted and linked to outside reviews on Twitter, Facebook and other official Affinity accounts.
an example how it looks like on Facebook;

Thanks. Yes, I would agree that that is an advertisement, even though they're quoting someone else.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff
19 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

Thus far, I have observed three significant issues with both the current Beta and release versions of Affinity Photo.

They include the following:

1.       The Macro has very limited capabilities. Kind of useless except for the most mundane actions. We hope to add more comprehensive macro capabilities in the future. For now, if there is anything specific you would really like to see, it's worth mentioning it in the Feature Request section of the forum.

2.       When an image is opened, it appears as a docked image and the frame around it is not collapsed around the image. This is a big pain and time consuming if you want to display multiple images. If you only open a single image, you cannot undock it unless you are in Separated Mode.

3.       A variety of settings that should remain set by the user revert to the factory settings. For example. Pixels vs. Inches, Refine settings, and many more.  More lost time. 1.7 has started to address some of these settings and we have started making some of them 'sticky'. Possibly not relevant to you, but we have made some settings in the Crop Tool sticky. As time goes on, I'm sure we will add to this.

Affinity Photo appears to be a product advertised as a replacement for PS. While it has many great features, it lacks several basic functions that I suspect go way beyond my little list. We have never claimed to be a replacement for PS. 

Thanks for your feedback. 

5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If you only open a single image, you cannot undock it unless you are in Separated Mode.

Based on other posts, Dennis is using Windows, so that does not apply. Even with a single image opened, on Windows Window > Float or dragging the image tab away from the docked area will float it.

-- Walt
PC:

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Affinity Photo appears to be a product advertised as a replacement for PS. While it has many great features, it lacks several basic functions that I suspect go way beyond my little list. We have never claimed to be a replacement for PS. 

Oh but your advertising implies and even says that

tsk tsk!

LOL grin 1.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Do you have a link?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinity_Photo

Affinity Photo has been described as an Adobe Photoshop alternative, compatible with common file formats including Adobe's PSD.[8][9]

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Do you have a link?

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

4 hours ago, haakoo said:

This is not an advertisement by Serif but the heading used by techradar to show Affinity as an alternative for Photoshop.
Found here 
Serif simply linked to the post

It used to be in the ads but it has transparently been scrubbed a bit. Serif was most definitely going after the Adobe market 

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

That's a link to a Wikipedia article that anyone can edit. Upon checking the article edit history, I don't recognise any of those users so I would still argue we (Serif) have never stated we are a replacement. The article even says alternative. Maybe by 'alternative' it's implying a one-time license fee vs subscription billing :) 

In all fairness to Serif, third party reviews and Wikipedia entries can hardly be described as their advertising.

Affinity Photo is certainly an alternative to Photoshop (just as Gimp, PS Elements and PhotoPlus are.)

Whether or not it can be described as a replacement really depends on what you need in a piece of photo editing software. For myself I can do virtually everything in Affinity Photo that I used to do in Photoshop. (But not necessarily in exactly the same way.)

At the risk of being rude to anyone, if you expect a new piece of software like AP to have all the bells and whistles (plus all the baggage!) of a long established one like Photoshop, at a fraction of the price, then you're living on another planet!!!

(And I would doubt if most Photoshop users ever actually use (or even know about)  all of the "bells and whistles" anyway!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

34 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

In all fairness to Serif, third party reviews and Wikipedia entries can hardly be described as their advertising.

With respect to Wikipedia, I agree.

However, when Serif's Affinity Facebook account posts links to reviews that talk about Affinity being an Adobe replacement, it starts to become their advertising. They had a choice of posting the link, or not posting it, if it's saying something they disagree with.

Or, they could post the link but comment to clarify that Serif doesn't think of Affinity as being an Adobe replacement.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

Why?

For the reason I explained. If Serif posts a link to a review that is Serif advertising their product. If that review calls them an Adobe replacement then if they do not say something different they are implicitly agreeing. If they don't agree they should say so, or not post that link.

For example, the Facebook post shown above, where the linked article starts out with a headline saying that if you want Photoshop without Adobe subscription plan, consider Affinity. 

That statement is the very first thing the reader sees under the Affinity logo indicating who said it.

It's confusing, and possibly misleading if that's not what Affinity believes :)

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

But that's the opinion of someone at techradar.

Of course it is. But if you repeat that opinion, without a disclaimer, you have now "owned" that opinion for the purpose of advertising. If you don't want to own that opinion, don't use it in your advertising.

(It would be less of a case of advertising, or less of Serif espousing that opinion, if that FB post had managed to find a way to omit that headline. Linking to a review, which deep down inside it said that they were a Photoshop replacement, would seem much less like Serif claiming that, than linking to one which used it as their headline.)

-- Walt
PC:

23 hours ago, PaulEC said:

At the risk of being rude to anyone, if you expect a new piece of software like AP to have all the bells and whistles (plus all the baggage!) of a long established one like Photoshop, at a fraction of the price, then you're living on another planet!!! 

This is not a valid argument as the chosen price point was entirely up to Serif.
I would pay as much for the Affinity Suite as I paid for the small Adobe Design Standard Suite (even without getting Acrobat), if it offered equal value. My sole reason for looking into alternatives for Adobe apps - which I enjoy using - is that I find renting content creation software unacceptable.

On the previously discussed issue, whether Affinity Photo is actively marketed as a replacement for Photoshop, just one more observation: I have to admit that I did not book Youtube ads yet – but I did so in a variety of other social channels. Here one can usually narrow down very closely the desired audience and also bid for relevant search keywords.

As a Youtube user and as a person who still uses Photoshop for all his image-editing I search pretty regularly for terms  like 'Photoshop + problem I want to solve'. I can not recall searching for Affinity videos. Interestingly I'm getting lots of Youtube ads for Affinity-Photo shown. This, judging from my background in other ad channels should only happen, when one actively bids for the the search-term 'Photoshop'. So, while one might avoid some explicid wording, I think it's fair to say that Serifs marketing department quite aggressively targets Photoshop-users. They were idiots if they didn't :o)

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Linking to a review, which deep down inside it said that they were a Photoshop replacement, would seem much less like Serif claiming that, than linking to one which used it as their headline

When you link to a review you should always use the headline of the review.

If Serif had deliberately change the linking text to something deep in the review which Serif wanted to use instead then that would have been misleading, unethical and manipulative.

There is nothing wrong in Serif linking to reviews where the reviewer may (or may not) consider it as a replacement for some Photoshop users.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.