You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable and control spelling checker on iPad

The iPad. version of AD does not seem to have a menu for language and spelling. However, the text still displays spelling correction underlining which is quite annoying. See the enclosed image where every single word is spelled correctly, and yet they get curly lines.

Is it possible to turn off the curly lines?

When will control of language and spelling come into the iPad version?

Please note that the iPad language is set to Danish.

Regards,

Hans

84548927-3F71-405F-8EE5-B93D9BF4A9AD.jpeg

This is showing how in Affinity Photo but it is exactly the same for Affinity Design. :)

4BA98D7F-F17E-40F9-83A1-65CFE9A06A64.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 8 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 11:40 PM, DM1 said:

This is showing how in Affinity Photo but it is exactly the same for Affinity Design. :)

Thanks (and sorry for the late reply). 

One remaining problem is that the check/uncheck status of "Check spelling while typing" is no remembered when re-opening the document.

Another problem is that it does not follow the keyboard setting, so it seems I cannot get Danish or German spell checking, e.g. Only English.

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2019 at 1:42 PM, Dybkjær said:

Thanks (and sorry for the late reply). 

One remaining problem is that the check/uncheck status of "Check spelling while typing" is no remembered when re-opening the document.

Another problem is that it does not follow the keyboard setting, so it seems I cannot get Danish or German spell checking, e.g. Only English.

as with the new update is there any news about the check spelling function being able to stay at last setting when reopening the document? this is so annoying having to uncheck it each time when the document is reopenend and I wonder if I missed news about this? thanks in advance....

10 hours ago, dmtp said:

as with the new update is there any news about the check spelling function being able to stay at last setting when reopening the document? this is so annoying having to uncheck it each time when the document is reopenend and I wonder if I missed news about this? thanks in advance....

Still a known issue. For now, we must deal with these small imperfections. Cheers :)

• 1 month later...

how do I completely turn the spelling check off? couldnt find this in the settings menu of AD, but read it should be possible....having to turn it off each time I open a doc drives me crazy as I use text in my illustrations very often...

6 hours ago, dmtp14 said:

but read it should be possible

Off permanently….. Where did you read that? Pretty sure this is still not possible within affinity apps.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

19 hours ago, DM1 said:

Off permanently….. Where did you read that? Pretty sure this is still not possible within affinity apps.

not in this forum, as far as I remember in an apple forum...so there is no option to turn it off in general settings?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm also getting very annoyed by this. I think it stems from my iPad having double language but Affinity Apps only support the system language. The secondary language fails to spelcheck correctly and Affinity ignores that it exists altogether. At the same time, while typing, spellchecking doesn't work for this secondary language. Something seems to be bugged.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/27/2023 at 5:44 AM, KristianK said:

This is option now exists in affinity designer ipad version 2. spell check can be switched off under the preview icon top right in the menu bar. it is one of the options along with rulers, margins, guides, etc. no more red squiggly lines under text...

Which makes the wrong spell checking much less annoying.

Now we only miss the ability to do spell checking in the language we write. Sometimes it is English, aber ab und zu ist es Deutch, eller som for det meste, dansk.

44 minutes ago, Dybkjær said:

Now we only miss the ability to do spell checking in the language we write. Sometimes it is English, aber ab und zu ist es Deutch, eller som for det meste, dansk.

You can specify, for any piece of text (word, phrase, paragraph, ...) the spelling language you want, as long as it is one supported by iPadOS on your iPad.

Text studio, Character section, Language, Spelling: 

image.png

image.png

image.png

And you can also specify it in Character or Paragraph Text Styles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, that is really helpful.

It seems that this property does not count as part of the current style? In contrast with the character styles it is grouped with. 

Luckily, it seems to work when selecting all 1500 text boxes and apply Danish at one. Not via ctl-a which only works on the current spread (good), but via drag-select which can select across spreads.

Spelling->Learn (from the upper left sandwich button) does not seem to work. When I press "Spelling", "Find", and then "Learn", and exit the box, it is still wiggly·

7 hours ago, Dybkjær said:

It seems that this property does not count as part of the current style?

Do you mean object style, or text style?

It is certainly part of a Character Text Style that you define.

Some aspects of text are encompassed in object styles, but I've never checked whether the language carries over. But generally I don't apply object styles to text (only to entire text frames, or entire artistic text objects. 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It confused me, because when I changed the language, it didn't seem to take effect in neighbour boxes with the same text style. In this picture, they should both have had the red squiggle as they have the same, updated text style (updated while the left one had focus):

IMG_6824.jpeg.c82425433f3291b93df6266dc6b088fb.jpeg

However, when closing and opening the document, it takes effect.
This in contrast to e.g. changing to a bold font, which takes effect in all boxes in the moment the text style is updated.

So I concluded a bit too early, based on this difference in effectuation time. Thank you for your help.

3 hours ago, Barry Newman said:

Sounds like a bug, really. It should take effect immediately everywhere. 

You should probably report that in a new thread, we are an archive here. 🙂 

I agree.

-- Walt
PC: