You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer can't save SVG for editing?

I have a few questions about Designer.  I was under the assumption that is was a vector program. 

I am concerned that the program:

• Only exports to SVG, but those files can not be further manipulated in other programs such as Inkscape.  (They open up but items such as text or other details are not editable.)
  •  Has issues recognizing  SVG as a viable format to open and edit.  - I created a SVG file and although Designer "opens it" the file is corrupt. (SEE IMAGES)

The attached images show a design I made in Inkscape.  I would like to import it and use Designer, but as you can see only part of the image is visible.  Am I missing a step or what can I do to correct this?  I'm hoping I don;t have to redo all the projects I have started to use Designer.   I was wanting to use Designer to rework these to complete them ans well as a tutorial for myself specific to my application and needs.

Back ground info (not important to the question.)

I've been a heavy user of Paint.net for over 15 years.  As my design requirements have started to change I was looking to upgrade.  I am in need of both raster and vector creation and manipulation for many upcoming projects. 

I was shocked to see the cost of Photoshop and it's subscription structure. Affinity to the rescue!  I purchased Photo and am going thru the learning curve.  I have been using Inkscape for my vector needs, but would rather stick with a package that has some flow and commonality between them.  So I bought Designer. 

SVG_Designer.png

SVG_inkscape.png

Edited by broderp
Improper file uploaded, spelling corrections

2 hours ago, broderp said:

Only exports to SVG, but those files can not be further manipulated in other programs such as Inkscape.  (They open up but items such as text or other details are not editable.)

I don't have answers for your other questions, but for this one: they should remain editable as long as you don't do something that requires Designer to rasterize things. For example, rasterization will occur if you apply certain layer effects or (I think) gradients.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I don't use Inkscape much. On the Mac, running under XQuartz, the interface and performance is really poor. But I do very frequently move .svg files back and forth between Inkscape and Designer. I only had one problem. Inkscape's arrowhead feature doesn't render in Designer 1.6. Otherwise, no problems.

Have you tried opening up the "g6726" layer? It may be that because of the way Designer displays "child" layers in vector view, you are only seeing what is within the top most Inkscape object. 

Alternatively, switch to outline view. I think you will probably see the wire frame of the Inkscape vectors.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Looks like everything is there. The canvas just isn't big enough. Change it in Document setup.

OR.... grab all the elements and resize them down to the doc size you have. (make sure strokes are set to scale with object)

But to the larger question. Yes SVG has some issues....along with what you're seeing here, sometimes things created in other apps are rasterized in Affinity and vice versa.

2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Looks like everything is there. The canvas just isn't big enough. Change it in Document setup.

OR.... grab all the elements and resize them down to the doc size you have. (make sure strokes are set to scale with object)

But to the larger question. Yes SVG has some issues....along with what you're seeing here, sometimes things created in other apps are rasterized in Affinity and vice versa.

You nailed it.  I went back to Inkscape and turned on the page.  The page was the size of what was displayed in my first image.  I scaled the image down to fit the page (also rotated it to landscape and when I opened it with Designer, it was all there. 9_9   And so far each line and symbol appears to be in place and editable....

I never thought the scale mattered, so I guess its part of the learning curve...

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't have answers for your other questions, but for this one: they should remain editable as long as you don't do something that requires Designer to rasterize things. For example, rasterization will occur if you apply certain layer effects or (I think) gradients.

It appears that Designer by default creates a "group" or a single image when exporting as SVG.  When I brought it back into Inkscape, I had to "un-group" and could edit again with no loss of fidelity..  so its all good now, Thanks!   I'm trying to figure out gradients, I'm pretty good with Inkscape on them and I love the flexibility to make and set the  position of the gradient.  So far Designer is a bit tougher to get what I want.  It's time for some YouTube time......

3 hours ago, gdenby said:

I don't use Inkscape much. On the Mac, running under XQuartz, the interface and performance is really poor. But I do very frequently move .svg files back and forth between Inkscape and Designer. I only had one problem. Inkscape's arrowhead feature doesn't render in Designer 1.6. Otherwise, no problems.

Have you tried opening up the "g6726" layer? It may be that because of the way Designer displays "child" layers in vector view, you are only seeing what is within the top most Inkscape object. 

Alternatively, switch to outline view. I think you will probably see the wire frame of the Inkscape vectors.

I'm still new to Inkscape, so I'm not sure what the arrowhead feature is. lol  But I did learn what the g6726 layer is, and I also learned about outline view and so thanks!

Thanks to all of you for stepping in and helping.  Now on to learning more stuff to increase my productivity.....:15_yum:

Untitled.png