UnluckyKitty

'Place' tool not working on my Mac

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @UnluckyKitty. :)

More details, please! Which version of Affinity Photo are you using, and on what version of OS X or macOS? What do you mean by “it won’t even let [you] place” the photo? What is the file format of the photo in question?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

I am using 1.6.6 and the MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 and by that I mean when I click on the image that I want to put in, and it doesn't show the place icon on my cursor. This worked yesterday, so it is probably an option or something I accidentally clicked.

10 minutes ago, UnluckyKitty said:

Can someone reply ASAP? I am working on something and I need it done fast. Thanks, UnluckyKitty

Just a comment: you posted your video just after midnight (if I've done the conversion correctly) in the UK, where Serif is based. I don't know how many staff, or which ones, they have working the forums in the wee hours of the morning. You've also probably lost, for now, many of the UK or European users who might know.

I'd provide an answer if I had one. Sorry.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.238 Beta

Strange, I assume switching over to the move tool instead doesn‘t change much for you or? — Which macOS Version?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

You can try to reset the app and see if that fixes it. 

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Hi UnluckyKitty,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
With Affinity Photo closed/not running, press and hold ⌃(ctrl), click the Affinity Photo icon in the dock, so you can see the Open command in the pop-up menu (keep holding the ctrl key all the time) and click the Open command in the pop-up menu. Let me know if you still have issues.

28 minutes ago, UnluckyKitty said:

I tried to reset it, but it just gives me a menu of all the files in Affinity Photo.

I don’t have a Mac, but it looks as though you may have pressed the Ctrl key at the wrong time. You need to press it first, keeping it held down while you launch the app, and continuing to hold it down until the Clear User Data dialog appears (at which point you can release it and follow the remaining steps).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

9 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi UnluckyKitty,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
With Affinity Photo closed/not running, press and hold ⌃(ctrl), click the Affinity Photo icon in the dock, so you can see the Open command in the pop-up menu (keep holding the ctrl key all the time) and click the Open command in the pop-up menu. Let me know if you still have issues.

Ok, I got to that 'Clear User Data' screen. There is an option to Select All, but if I do that, will it reset all the documents I made? There is also an option saying 'Don't restore Window and Documents'. What does that do?

Keep just the first three checkboxes ticked (don't select them all). Resetting everything will delete all custom brushes, macros, presets etc you may have created while using the program.There's no need to do it. Keep just the first three checkboxes ticked. Your documents are never deleted and are securely saved on your hard rive in the folders you saved them.

'Don't restore Window and Documents' is jus to set the program to not restore files/documents that may have been saved while you were working but were suddenly closed due to a program crash (which are usually opened automatically when you run the program again). You don't have to worry about it, just keep it ticked.