You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Peter Rodbourn

Another of my all time favorite bikes. Unfortunately, never owned one but learnt to ride on a Velocette Valiant which I owned as a teenager.

It was a 200cc flat twin with shaft drive. Found out recently that only1600 were made. Fairly happy with my illustration but I wish I could get

more realistic chrome effects. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Velocette Final.jpg

Hey Peter, nice bike details. 

Chrome is tricky to get right, and as it changes as it follows the shape of each element, it's hard to offer a one solution fits all description. Generally you're going to have to experiment until it looks convincing...

Chrome tends to look most convincing when it appears to have something reflected in it, because really shiny chrome is basically a mirror. Typically in 2d work that's means a strong horizon line as if (the bike) was sitting out in an empty parking lot on a sunny day with a mountain or hill ridge in the distance. You'll see typically a deep blue sky with a fade to light blue or white right at the point where it meets the top of the ridge or horizon at it's darkest point. This should be a sharp transition where the white sky meets the brown horizon. Then the ridge which is typically a dark brown or sometimes a dark green fades to light brown or light green as it wraps around the form of the object.  The trick with this method is to not over do it. Larger pieces are good while many of the smaller pieces can get away with mostly highlights and a subtle sense of graduation of tone. Think of the light direction as well keeping it consistent throughout and watch the amount of blurring on too many elements as that can contribute to a loss of detail... 

In my work in progress example below of something I'm working on at the moment, notice how the sharp horizon follows the shape of the bumper's smooth curves as it winds around (left to right) the object delineating the shape and also how the horizon line appears on the curve of the bumper as the top plane curves (top to bottom) down towards the ground. To add to the realism you can add subtle reflections as indicated with the headlight ridge reflections and optional small sunbursts.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 10.23.14 AM.png

Haha, you're welcome, those giant Cragar rims on that Camaro piece were fun to make. Using 3d and an HDRI image for reflections is cheating though ;-), glad it was useful for you.