I don't see an option to default to embedded. It would be nice if I didn't have to go back to the Resource Manager to do this after placing images. Thanks. 

You have the option when creating the document, of choosing either Linked or Embedded:

image.png.00dba305c1cc1adfb31a2228dadc2178.png

I think it's remembered as part of the Preset if you want to change the default, and it may remember the last one you chose.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

Yes..  You can force Publisher to prefere Linked...

But "linking" seems to be wired in Publisher...      The files still are stored inside of the document which leads to enormous size of the document if you save it , even when prefere linked is enabled and all images ...   are "linked",   because they are not realy linked..

Linked untill now only means..  that the still embeded files have to save a "link" to the original files, to notice, if they change..  in that case you can exchange them to the new files..

But still the data get stored to the document, which leads to big filesizes...

What do you think...   I think here the indesign concept is far better..