You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a spiral or coil

• 4 months later...

Hi,

i found a new method to create a "nearly" perfect linear spiral:

1. Create new image with square size, e.g. 2160x2160
  2. Create vector shape rectangle, no fill, no stroke from 0,0, size 2160,16 (used as guide only)
  3. Create with pen tool a line from 0,0 to 2160,16
  4. set stroke to 2 pixel wide pure black
  5. Group both layers
  6. duplicate layer
  7. set y position to 16 with help of transfer panel
  8. duplicate as many times you want (define the number of spiral rounds)
  9. merge visible
  10. filter->distort->rectangular to polar
  11. may put a white circle shape into the background

Enjoy.

image.thumb.png.f0980bcd1bdd07a735bfd96e2a962134.png

large_spiral_2pixel_line_16_pixel_distance.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I vaguely remember creating linear spirals with a few clicks in Freehand 5 (or was it already 7?) back in 1996.

Oh well…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just tried this and it works, but older systems will struggle with the rectangular to polar conversion.

Inkscape can do spirals easily and they remain vector, always choose the path of least resistance.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Inkscape can do spirals easily and they remain vector, always choose the path of least resistance.

For those that still have it installed Serif's DrawplusX8 had a spiral tool.

DrawPlus Spiral.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

Another freebie tool is VectorStyler and included in it's box of tricks is... yep you guessed it - Sprials.

image.png.02788122bf688ab9438e2e54166d90ab.png

You can Copy/Paste these into Affinity apps and they retain the curve status.

Think of VectorStyler as the Affinity plugin Affinity shouldn't need. It is in beta so expect bugs.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2019 at 12:59 PM, firstdefence said:

Or open Inkscape and make one in less than 10 sec

Well said (and I actually did accordingly...)

Unfortunately, Inkscape 1.1.2 tends to be so "lethargic“ on my 2019 Mojave iMac that it isn't exactly fun. BUT: you get it done and the options Inkscape’s offering for customizing spirals are very useful indeed.

If Inkcape's performance on Mac would be as fluent as it seems to be on PC I'd actually do quite a few things Designer doesn't offer (yet) in that app...

21 minutes ago, Lorox said:

Unfortunately, Inkscape 1.1.2 tends to be so "lethargic“ on my 2019 Mojave iMac that it isn't exactly fun.

I had high hopes for the 1.1.2 version but Its performance is terrible on my 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 iMac running Catalina as well, reminiscent of how apps behaved on old underpowered Macs running System 7. It also has a lot of UI quirks like popup menus not staying open unless the mouse button is held down & some options that (I think) were just ported directly from the Windows version & either do not work at all or work in some obscure way I have yet to figure out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I use the 1.2.0 beta, might be worth a try: https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.2/?latest=1

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, isgcl said:

I try this and did it 😊
Thanks for solution

You're welcome @isgcl

That's cool, nice use of the technique. 👍

just thinking if we could use vector mesh warp to create a spiral from

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

just thinking if we could use vector mesh warp to create a spiral from

I'd considered that as well but it doesn't seem to work with pen drawn lines and even if the stroke is expanded it doesn't twist the line, but I like the lateral thinking.

26 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I'd considered that as well but it doesn't seem to work with pen drawn lines and even if the stroke is expanded it doesn't twist the line, but I like the lateral thinking.

Inkscape 1.21 is still my goto app for spiralising, it opens in 2 seconds and boom a delicious spiral is copy/pasted into Affinity.