You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No more rotation of the document possible

The view commands to rotate left and right no longer exist. The Reset Rotation command, on the other hand, is still available.
Is this an error or have I missed something and it works differently now?

By the way, I would generally be in favour of another solution for rotating. A stepless variant based on an extension for the view tool perhaps.

• Staff

Hi Michail,

I've spoken to development about this and can confirm it is an intentional change, as it generally doesn't make much sense with a multi-spread document which are common place in Publisher. The Reset Rotation option is just to be able to reset the rotation without having to go back into the Designer/Photo Persona.

Wosven, leaving them on the right-click menu was an oversight so I'll get that passed on to development to remove them there as well!

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

Well, create a bg layer,group it with your rotated text frames and rotate the group instead.
That way you can even use snapping :) and free rotate

Perhaps I'm confused, but we're talking about rotating the view of the data, not the actual data, aren't we? Isn't the view rotation the function they've removed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, Sean P said:

as it generally doesn't make much sense with a multi-spread document which are common place in Publisher. The Reset Rotation option is just to be able to reset the rotation without having to go back into the Designer/Photo Persona.

Wosven, leaving them on the right-click menu was an oversight so I'll get that passed on to development to remove them there as well!

But it was a feature we asked for in another thread!

When I have crosswords or other games that need text to be written or checked/corrected because the text frame is upside down, that's the way Ido it in another app.

When I need to do some folded document (poster) with pages upside down, I need to rotate the canvas to do part of the pages. Another app help us leaving those rotated spread rotated in the document we work on (they can stay this way when we save, close and re-open it), but the exported PDF are done with the pages in their real state, not working rotation state. It's easy to work like this, it's like working on a regular document.

When I need in a book to add really long and large tables for a biography, flowing in several pages, but in landscape mode, when all the other pages are in portrait mode, that's how I do it: rotation of those pages so I can compose them without problem… 

Does this mean we'll need to rotate our real screen or lay down on our desktop if we have to do some of those documents in APub? :S

You don't understand we're working professionnaly and not playing at rotating frame or page content here and there.

We can't afford to do a mistake as if some part of the page is forgotten in a wrong place or not rotated, because we were in a hurry with last minute modifications. This would mean  to print again a document.

And we need worklow easy enough that co-worker or external help can be given a document, can do an easy work with simple enough workflow without having to explain silly thing as: 1. Rotate this way, 2. Do this, 3. Rotate back…

Exporting final PDF, and reimporting in another document to have the pages set in a different way to export as a web PDF is already in some workflows. But that's easy as modifying a linked PDF before generation of a new web PDF.

Exporting pages and reimporting them in the same document because we can't rotate the view is not a solution.

Sorry @haakoo,

I don't want to be rude. That's just annoying that an usefull added feature is removed. We could have wait for a "there's a problem, we'll improve it, be patient". But removing it is frustating, when solutions are only poor workarounds, that can be usefull on a yearly document, but not if you need it frequently enough to need it as a feature.

Thanks for your file. That the way I would work for a cover since we don't have spread with multi-pages of different width, but only because it only need 3 pages.

For 8 pages, with a lot of elements, having an embedded document seems chancy. And when working on the embedded document, you can't see the final document as a whole, unless on a second screen. But it seems to work, updating when modifying a picture or some text. I'll have to test with the exact layout.

But for the example with tables, it would be tricky with text styles, if when finishing the document you need to change fonts or more… It all seems more convoluted than the simple rotation view we asked for!

I agree that Rotate View would be useful and should not have been removed. And workarounds like haakoo's may work, but that seems a complex process to ask users to do when the existing function could have been left enabled in Publisher, to match the function that exists in Photo and Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.