You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RE: Fix for Auto-flow with master frame content .238

I'm not sure what has been fixed here. It may well be that I don't understand how this feature works.

But as far as I can see this is still broken. Pease see the recording:

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

44 minutes ago, Wosven said:

That's what I would expect, since you apply a different master page to already existing pages with another master page model.

Well, inDesign correctly relinks text boxes even if you change the design. That's the point. It should be automatic.

In inDesign you tell a text box that it is a main story and it remembers that. Unfortunately, you can only have 1 main story in inDesign.

I would love Publisher to beat inDesign and be able to deal with more than just one story automatically.

As the things stand now you can have as many stories in Publisher as you like except that they don't relink properly.

I would love to be able to say to each text box in master pages: you belong to Story 1, to another you belong to Story 2, etc. and the computer should relink each text box according to what story it belongs to irrespective of what page it is on because each box know what sort it carries.

This would be awesome.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

You can have more than one Gabarit with main story in inDesign, you just need to click on the top left icon of the frame, so black arrows appear.

And it behave as you want in fact (I didn't noticed it since I use this a lot but with same number of columns, and I thought it was the "décor" — page numbers, colorfull static elements… — that were replaced, not the text frames since they are the same in the same place in the differents gabarits/master pages.
But since it's doing the same when applying "chapter head" master pages when I  create books…

I knew and use it without noticing it :S

2019-02-09_193942.png.add5a810fe9f8f79f953aec36ddc8045.png2019-02-09_193126.png.aac35392f3d055b30720052dd97f549d.png2019-02-09_193136.png.0c5ea78ea82fe72ce5781a01c70b6f9c.png

2019-02-09_193152.png.7f43b0809521bd4d65e050c87e9a9430.png2019-02-09_193238.png.d7f0c5d1cb39eaf3c257b472f5de92c6.png

Edited by Wosven
Typos, as usual!

The way to do this would be to have some kind of "anchor icon" when setting up a master page, similar to the one in QXP, except that when you link a text box to/from the anchor, it creates another one for the next "story" in the chain - so to set up a text box or set of text boxes that automatically link as "story 1", you would link from the anchor to the incoming text box (the one that takes the incoming story from the previous page/spread), then Publisher should be able to follow any further links on the master page to find the last box in the chain - or equivalently link the outgoing text box to the anchor and it should be able to trace backwards to the first text box.

Either way, a second anchor icon should show up for "story 2", which could then be linked to the second story if there is one, etc.

• 1 month later...