You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

white background after export

26 minutes ago, haakoo said:

How are you opening this svg?

In Photo or Designer

27 minutes ago, haakoo said:

As with mine both in designer/photo gave a transparent background and shows as curves.

Well that would be be great if it worked for me but sadly it doesn't.

27 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Your layers panel indicates it is an image?

Looks like it

26 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Did you also changed the rects erase blend mode to normal?

No because I want it to cut out that shape

28 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

When both are vectors/curves and you select them and make a subtract, you are just leaved with curves/paths.

I understand I could do this, but then I am left with just one layer that is a curve, but I can't edit it as before, e.g. by moving or resizing the erase rectangle, and as mentioned ideally I'd still like to have the possibility to change the font so although by converting to curves and subtracting I can end up with something I can export, I want to be able to export while I am still working on differentiations things (there is an acid engraver who is asking for .SVG so he can test the viability of different designs and sizes I think he is using Corel or something)

I have to say my brain is beginning to hurt now reading through the thread again. 

14 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

don't convert your text to curves

Someone said to do that in order to not get the white background. If it worked that would have been OK, but not ideal as it would be best to keep it as text.

15 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

To get the bar cutout use a mask or clipping or compound boolean as suggested earlier. Do you need help with that?

I thought I was using clipping. If I use it as a mask, then it just shows what's inside the rectangle, the opposite of what I want. 

1263756618_Screenshot2019-02-10at16_38_31.thumb.png.731f59bb29da915f152961005f88de2c.png

I have no idea of what compound boolean means.

24 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

Someone said to do that in order to not get the white background. If it worked that would have been OK, but not ideal as it would be best to keep it as text.

I thought I was using clipping. If I use it as a mask, then it just shows what's inside the rectangle, the opposite of what I want. 

1263756618_Screenshot2019-02-10at16_38_31.thumb.png.731f59bb29da915f152961005f88de2c.png

I have no idea of what compound boolean means.

Yes, I know that's what people have been saying. Don't do it.

Look at the mask/clipping shape in my post on the last page. It's not a bar. It's a rectangle with the bar missing.

Compound Boolean is a Boolean operation that keeps the involved objects separate so they can be edited. Hold down Alt when using the boolean commands (i.e add, subtract etc). Type in "compound" in the help dropdown in Designer (you can use the methods in Photo too) to find an explanation.

Just made a video for ya, apologises for the sound and my waffling. Will add a link here in a bit.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Mr Lucky has Affinity Designer as well as Affinity Photo, its easier to do what he needs in Affinity Designer and Affinity Designer lends itself to this process but its good to know that you can create compounds using the alt method.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm sure mr lucky will choose whichever app he needs to get the task done. I mentioned creating a compound shape on the first page as well but I decided to make a video to show the process, sometimes it's easy to assume people know as much as you and you see it as simple but others may not. Most people get it if you show them and that worked for him.

Make a video showing your way, I'm sure he'd watch it and learn from it as well as anyone else reading this post. 

13 minutes ago, >|< said:

Eh? The apps have identical Compound functionality, so why do you think it easier to complicate things by needlessly adding a switch of apps to the procedure?

Where is the "Create Compound Layer" (Montage Ebene in German) which doesn't distort the compounded layers in Photo hidden? - I don't mean the boolean operation like add, subtract, compound ... here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, JimmyJack said:

Nope. Stays as text :).

I know my bad, realised I was using a curve converted text layer but you're too quick lol!

>|< is right, the alt method works just the same as in designer.

Doesn't work for me actually on a Win box, no chance, even if I place the geometric buttons to the top toolbar pressing the Alt-key hides those as it does for the menu entries. Have to see if it behaves different on a Mac then.

EDIT: OK AltGr works on the Win box here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

@Mr Lucky I believe that this is due to a design flaw in Affinity Photo. There is also a bug that is fixed in Photo 1.7 beta. The result of the layer is supposed to be transparent, obviously, but you are not getting transparency in the SVG as you do in PNG's.

If you select Document -> Flatten you should get a SVG with the desired transparency:

• During export Affinity Photo 1.6 will warn about rasterization but the result is fine.
  • During export Affinity Photo 1.7 beta will not warn about rasterization and the result is fine.

Other solution: If you right click the layer and select Rasterize you should get a SVG with the desired transparency. In this case you can export selection only with no background and transparency will work:

• During export Affinity Photo 1.6 will warn about rasterization but the result is fine.
  • During export Affinity Photo 1.7 beta will not warn about rasterization and the result is fine.

This kind of work should be done in Affinity Designer, Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape. More control, less agony. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

6 minutes ago, Jowday said:

If you right click the layer and select Rasterize you should get a SVG with the desired transparency.

I believe he also wants the text to remain editable as text. Any kind of rasterization will eliminate that possibility, won't it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

33 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I believe he also wants the text to remain editable as text. Any kind of rasterization will eliminate that possibility, won't it?

It sure will. If there is no other way he may have to make these work arounds in a copy during export, if at all possible of course.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

I stand corrected,was looking for the menu>layer>create compound,this isn't in APhoto.
The shortkey will do,thanks

Same here, used that menu entry sometimes from ADe, but never saw such a menu entry in APh. Interestingly the APh help also doesn't tell anything about those compound (Montage) layers in contrast to the ADe help, so I think it's more or less a hidden interoperation feature.