You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcuts with arrows don't work

This isn't right... take a look at my screenshot of the Document menu. Add Page, Next Page and Previous page all use the arrow key, but none of those keyboard shortcuts work.

Now open Preferences and look in Keyboard Shortcuts... the shortcut is not a regular arrow there which you can see in my second screenshot (I already changed Next Page by the time I took the screenshot). If I retype each keyboard shortcut then it uses the correct arrow and the keyboard shortcuts work.

I don't know what the intent was for those keyboard shortcuts - either they are wrong in Preferences or the Mac menu is not displaying it correctly. I'm not even sure what to press to get that kind of arrow!

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 11.39.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 11.40.18 PM.png

Page Up and Page Down keys work here as well, although there's a different symbol on my extended keyboard which just shows a plain arrow. 

Looking at the Keyboard Shortcuts preferences, there seems to be some trouble displaying that glyph, although it appears ok in the Document menu.

1249330567_ScreenShot2019-02-09at15_27_21.png.81f1fd065c9f36a5aa0cad8269a2b2c9.png

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

Ahh thanks guys, so it should be page down. The problem is the Document menu only shows it to be a regular arrow, not that funky arrow, so I was trying the arrow keys. Not sure if that's a Publisher bug or OS bug.

I also found another funky right-arrow for Toggle UI. Not sure that it's supposed to be.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 8.42.05 AM.png

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I also found another funky right-arrow for Toggle UI. Not sure that it's supposed to be.

That's the Tab key.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, that is confusing. I had not got around to using those keyboard shortcuts, but would have used the normal arrow keys (which don't work). Should there not be a better/different symbol showing in the Document menu for the Page Down or Page Up? Can't say I remember any other software using those keys for a shortcut (other than their normal function), so can't say I have had a chance to see a symbol for them.

In the Prefs/Keyboard Shortcuts I also get the question-mark in a box symbol for those menu items, so again, not very informative.

But in the end, nice to know how to finally get Page Down/Up to work!

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Those symbols are rather cryptic but they are the correct symbols for Page Up and Page Down (see here for other macOS symbols). The symbol on my keyboard is just a plain arrow which doesn't help, but that's an Apple decision. Compact keyboards use fn-Up Arrow.

The only glitch in Publisher is the missing glyph symbol in the Keyboard Shortcuts preferences. If I type Command-Page Up into the preferences, the symbol appears as expected. Not sure why it's not showing by default.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

There is still the glitch of the wrong symbol showing up in the menu itself, at least on the Mac. It appears as a regular arrow there, which is wrong and which is what made me think the shortcut wasn't working in the first place.

You could experiment and try Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, Reset. Or Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, Miscellaneous, Reset User Defaults. One of them might help, but of course you'll need to recreate any shortcuts that you have changed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
13 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

There is still the glitch of the wrong symbol showing up in the menu itself, at least on the Mac. It appears as a regular arrow there, which is wrong and which is what made me think the shortcut wasn't working in the first place.

Hi Jeremy, 
This is a known issue with development - I've just bumped it with them!

Seems like a problem with Apple's new system font. It shows arrows with double stroke on my 10.9 system, which are easily distinguishable from normal arrows.1852311417_ScreenShot2019-02-12at00_11_41.png.b2b15b066cd675851ddce46ce458793e.png

♥️Affinity v2; macOS 14; ⌨️🖱; recreational user since 2014.

17 minutes ago, hawk said:

Seems like a problem with Apple's new system font. It shows arrows with double stroke on my 10.9 system, which are easily distinguishable from normal arrows.

And here it is okay too. 10.12.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On High Sierra the drop-down menu shows a normal up or down arrow. In prefs/shortcuts it shows a double-headed arrow for both. No real way to tell that it's referring to either Page Up or Page Down.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

So the bug is in High Sierra and later.

And my suggestion, because most people wouldn't be able to tell that the symbols are Page Up/Down, is to write out the keyboard shortcut instead of using the symbols. So Command or cmd for short, Option and so forth. See how InDesign does it in the screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 10.49.29 AM.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.