You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Usage (Installation)

Hello, 

so i purchased an affinity designer. but i have 2 Notebook. first is my personal notebook that mainly stay at home, the other one is notebook in my office which sometimes my staff use it to do entertainment like watching videos, etc. May i install affinity in both of my notebook? so i dont need to carry my home notebook to office when i need to work with Affinity.

please note : only me who will use installed Affinity

29 minutes ago, Conans said:

How do I download the app to my laptop so I can use it on the run ? I have it already installed on my desktop.

Assuming the laptop and desktop run the same OS, you login from your laptop to the same store where you bought it, and download it again.

Exactly how you do that depends on which OS and which store you bought it from.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, Conans said:

Hey Walt the desktop is w10 and the laptop is old XP but I have a Ipad so maybe download it to that ?

No, you can't use the iPad. Each platform (Windows, MacOS, iOS) requires its own license and purchase.

But I'm afraid XP is too old for running the Affinity programs. They require at a minimum a fully-updated 64-bit version of Win7.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

44 minutes ago, Conans said:

Microsoft store and I can't find the product key !

The Affinity Store version works on Windows 10, 8.1 or 7 SP1, and you can use the same product key to install it on any compatible device that you own or control. The Microsoft Store version only works on Windows 10, and there’s no product key because the purchase is tied to your Microsoft account.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, Alfred said:

The Affinity Store version works on Windows 10, 8.1 or 7 SP1, and you can use the same product key to install it on any compatible device that you own or control. The Microsoft Store version only works on Windows 10, and there’s no product key because the purchase is tied to your Microsoft account.

really? this is not good i think in that way.. There should be some way to get product key available in Affinity store in any case.. either buy it from Windows Store or from Affinity Store. or you should mention it an any way. 

I own windows 10 Tablet + PC ( Now i think I luckily bought it from Affinity store) I'm using the same. But If I would have bought it from Windows store.. i was definitely  be going mad on Affinly. 

Please make it one time purchase for at least same OS family. Windows 7,8, 10 / MAC

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, mfarooqi said:

Please make it one time purchase for at least same OS family. Windows 7,8, 10 / MAC

It is a one-time purchase (for version 1.x of an Affinity program) if you buy from Serif directly or if you buy from Apple.

But if you buy from the Microsoft Store you are limited by their policies.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you Walt, It is right that Microsoft Store limits it. But shouldn't you give your users be happy with you.. Recommend your buyers to buy it from Affinity store instead of Windows. This will give them ease in later.  or you  remove apps from Windows Store and make it only accessible as traditional methods.. 

I've already bought on both OSs,.. and  made  many of my friends to buy Affinity, .. I will ask them to go on Affinity store and not on windows store.  

I think (but have no way to know for sure) that the Serif team made their products available from the Windows Store because customers asked them to do so. If customers ask before buying, Serif (and users like you and I in the forums) will describe the benefits and issues associated with each method of purchase.

I always recommend buying from Serif directly, but some users prefer the convenience of the Windows Store.

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It is a one-time purchase (for version 1.x of an Affinity program) if you buy from Serif directly or if you buy from Apple.

But if you buy from the Microsoft Store you are limited by their policies.

In particular, if you buy the Microsoft Store version you can only use it on Windows 10 computers because you need to install it via the Windows 10 MS Store. Apart from that restriction, you can install it on any compatible device.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

If customers ask before buying, Serif (and users like you and I in the forums) will describe the benefits and issues associated with each method of purchase.

Not always in sufficient detail! There have been complaints about Serif staff merely stating that the Affinity Store and Microsoft Store versions are “functionally identical”, correctly indicating that they’re the same in use but overlooking the fact that there are important differences when it comes to installing and updating the product.

Alfred spacer.png

So it should be very simple.. that, you guys sell product key on Microsoft or Serif, In whatever way the buyer buys,, he can access to his purchased keys in Affinity account.

How many times a "customer asks" Serif team before buying.. I think 1 after 25..  like me, i didn't ask where should I buy it from, but only paid on Affinity store for windows and Apple store for mac. 

So the best is.. You should have buyers account, and each account should have their "Product key".. Simple! (i think it is possible).

:)

1 minute ago, mfarooqi said:

So the best is.. You should have buyers account, and each account should have their "Product key".. Simple! (i think it is possible).

It isn’t possible unless you purchase from the Affinity Store. When you purchase from the Microsoft Store your contract is with Microsoft, not Serif, and when you purchase from the Mac App Store (MAS) your contract is with Apple. Serif, Microsoft and Apple quite rightly don’t share individual customer data with each other.

Until a few months ago the Mac versions of the Affinity apps were only available through the MAS, but we now have the option of purchasing them through the Affinity Store.

Alfred spacer.png

I agree .. You are absolutely right.  The Stores (Microsoft and Apple) have already taken their percentage shares.. and the good in Apple is, their store is compatible with their older Versions while as long as your Affinity supports that OS version. But in Microsoft we are limited to window 10.. .  

In Mac we are very much use to with App Store,.. while in Windows 10.. we are not!. so It makes sense now that they don't share info... but still their are many ways to connect your buyers to reach to you through OS Stores...  I guess... make your app be used with Email address (and these email address will be valid only if registered on Serif store).  like in some apps Autodesk is doing...  so you can link registered users with their product key.. 

Buy decision is yours.. I could only suggest.  

Thank you very much.