You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible bug in 1.7.0.110 perspective filter

Hi Affinity Photo team,

I am not sure if this bug is specific to 1.7.0.110 beta or it affects past betas but I am seeing somethign strange with the perspective filter.  I have tested with at least two different images and the result is the same.

When you drag the corner of the grid as shown in the picture below, part of the image seems to be chopped off.

image.thumb.png.b30d3354b09c165cb9b2c696610c7740.png

Seems to work pretty well :) Beta 110

(iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS 10.14.3)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-09 um 12.23.02.png

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

12 hours ago, Nana said:

This seems to happen with or without Metal enabled.

Yes, but not quite identically.

In the first image you showed there is one big rectangle chopped out of a corner.

In the second one there are several smaller rectangles which are even visible in the screenshot, and an additional chunk is being removed.

Having said that, the only way I could reproduce something similar to this was to select the corner first using the marquee, invert the selection, and then create the Live Perspective filter and try to use it.

EDIT: given that the corner was excluded from the selection even if it were doing that cleanly I don't believe that would be correct.

It seems to be a problem with refreshing rate of the application (the app need more time to recalculate the new image), does it disappears* after some seconds or after zooming in ?

*Appear would be more appropriate here :P

Edited by Wosven
Comment added

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

The Live Perspective filter appears to be almost unusable. Using the Perspective Tool seems to be working fine for me. This applies to macOS and Windows. I'll get it looked into—thanks.

Thanks @Chris B. Yes, the Perspective Tool works as intended but not Perspective Filter.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Chris B said:

The Live Perspective filter appears to be almost unusable. Using the Perspective Tool seems to be working fine for me. This applies to macOS and Windows. I'll get it looked into—thanks.

Hi Chris, the Live Perspective filter works very well for me. Beta 110, Metal On/ Off! Maybe I don't understand something here.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-12 um 12.28.46.png

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Puck said:

Hi Chris, the Live Perspective filter works very well for me. Metal Off! Maybe I don't understand something here.

Doesn't seem to make a difference if Metal is on/off for me. We've got a few separate logs for this too. The issue seems more apparent when you try and drag the image in on itself. You should notice a severe redraw issue which it can struggle to recover from. Messing about with it too much can also cause a crash.

I'm seeing this:
1566096583_Screenshot2019-02-1211_43_05.thumb.png.c3f2ec48d0c7b12c2dbb0d8509cdcdbf.png

19 hours ago, Chris B said:

Doesn't seem to make a difference if Metal is on/off for me. We've got a few separate logs for this too. The issue seems more apparent when you try and drag the image in on itself. You should notice a severe redraw issue which it can struggle to recover from. Messing about with it too much can also cause a crash.

Yes, you're right, Chris. If I distort the photo too quickly (but I really have to do it VERY quickly), this unwanted effect appears. If I work at "normal" tempo, the effect doesn't appear.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.