You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple shapes on same layer

I'm currently trying out the Affinity Photo trial, coming from an extensive Photoshop background.  One part of my workflow in Photoshop for painting complex backgrounds is creating vector paths to help create numerous selections and details that can be used as masks, or paths for effects, etc. 

I've been trying to duplicate this in Affinity Photo, but find that each created shape is on its own layer, and when I try to select a different layer, the previous one's lines disappear, making it impossible to draw shapes in relation to others. The closest I've gotten is having the shapes filled, so they show up without the nodes, but that is a very primitive workaround.

Is there any way to work on multiple shapes/paths on a single layer and have the nodes be visible so they can be easily tweaked?

Thanks for any info you guys might have

4 hours ago, >|< said:

The 1.7 beta has a new Add To Curves mode in the Pen Tool which enables multiple paths to be drawn inside one Curves object, but the beta only runs if it finds a licensed version of the app on the computer.

Some things to help in 1.6:

• unfilled shapes with a thin stroke will remain visible when not selected
  • the Add command will combine multiple selected Curve or Curves objects into one Curves object

The Add command isn't very convenient in the Layer > Geometry menu, but you can assign a keyboard shortcut or add a button for it to the main toolbar.

Thanks for your response, that is helpful and has tipped off some ideas for workarounds. It seems like I started my trial session a bit too soon. :)

Usually, only the divide command is available when only one layer is selected.
How is the rest of the workspace looking?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

8 minutes ago, >|< said:

You need more than one vector object to be selected for Add to be available. How many did you have selected?

Oh – I see that is intended as boolean operations. First create various paths which all get their individual layers and then merge.
I think what the OP wants is more how paths work in Photoshop. Any number of curves are automatically drawn as one unified object and may get converted to pixel-selections and masks.

2 hours ago, hifred said:

I think what the OP wants is more how paths work in Photoshop. Any number of curves are automatically drawn as one unified object and may get converted to pixel-selections and masks.

That is correct. I'm not necessarily requesting this, I'm just trying to see if there is a way to do it in Affinity Photo as part of my evaluation,  to see if I can live without paying an Adobe Subscription.

Hi, PanSpec,

While I used Adobe apps sporadically for many years, it was only a small part of my job. From what I can infer, while both Adobe and Serif software use some terms in common, the words specify somewhat different things. This leads to a fair number of problems for people taking up Affinity apps after Photoshop or Illustrator.

Specifically, it appears that paths in the Adobe software, and lines, or curves in Affinity are made differently.

While I haven't used Photoshop in at least 7 years, I've spent some time watching vids posted here w. people asking "How do I do this in Affinity?"  What I infer is that Photoshop and Illustrator can work with paths that can be assembled to make networks, w. each cell in the network having different attributes if so desired. The curve(s) objects in Affinity imply an area. Nominally, each is a layer, because there can be a layer hierarchy where the implied areas are merged. Or, the "child " areas are nested within the parent(s"), and can inherit some of the attributes of the parents, such as adjustments.

The Affinity layers/curves can be grouped within a layer by selecting a layed, and then clicking the "in sert inside" widget to place the next drawn figure in that layer.

Note, while Affinity Photo has many of the vector drawing capabilities of Designer, you might find it easier to create your vector object in that app. Then transfer those to Photo for its more extensive color manipulation and pixel filter operations.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

49 minutes ago, >|< said:

Yes, and I said that what the OP is looking for is available in the 1.7 beta, and that using Add could be a workaround for 1.6 since he only has the trial version of 1.6.

I have now also tested Combine. That is still not the exactly same, insofar as all paths are initially drawn on separate layers and need to get reselected and combined by hand to put them one one layer. I usually prefer using the Lasso tool on a Cintiq over drawing vector selections anyway, but the 1.7 behaviour doesn't equal Photoshops path tool.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, gdenby said:

Hi, PanSpec,

While I used Adobe apps sporadically for many years, it was only a small part of my job. From what I can infer, while both Adobe and Serif software use some terms in common, the words specify somewhat different things. This leads to a fair number of problems for people taking up Affinity apps after Photoshop or Illustrator.

Specifically, it appears that paths in the Adobe software, and lines, or curves in Affinity are made differently.

While I haven't used Photoshop in at least 7 years, I've spent some time watching vids posted here w. people asking "How do I do this in Affinity?"  What I infer is that Photoshop and Illustrator can work with paths that can be assembled to make networks, w. each cell in the network having different attributes if so desired. The curve(s) objects in Affinity imply an area. Nominally, each is a layer, because there can be a layer hierarchy where the implied areas are merged. Or, the "child " areas are nested within the parent(s"), and can inherit some of the attributes of the parents, such as adjustments.

The Affinity layers/curves can be grouped within a layer by selecting a layed, and then clicking the "in sert inside" widget to place the next drawn figure in that layer.

Note, while Affinity Photo has many of the vector drawing capabilities of Designer, you might find it easier to create your vector object in that app. Then transfer those to Photo for its more extensive color manipulation and pixel filter operations.

Thanks for taking the time to make your suggestions. The "Insert Inside" is somewhat helpful, but I still end up with a ton of layers and clutter because of it.

Creating some kind of workflow with Designer is probably the key - I've done it before with Clip Studio Paint/Manga Studio with Illustrator, so maybe its just a matter of not living with ultra-convenience.

I'll have to see if I can get some kind of synergy out of the two programs, but with only 5 days left on my trial of Photo, I doubt I'll be able to.

Cheers!

Pan