You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 minutes ago, thegary said:

The ability to save favorite brushes, and rename brush groups!

Both of those are possible already, but I agree that it would be nice to be able to reorder the categories.

Rename brush groups: The hamburger menu for the Brushes panel has a "rename category" option.

Save favorites:

1. The hamburger menu for the Brushes panel allows you to create a new category. Then
  2. Right-clicking on a brush allows you to move or copy it to a new category.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Both of those are possible already, but I agree that it would be nice to be able to reorder the categories.

Rename brush groups: The hamburger menu for the Brushes panel has a "rename category" option.

Save favorites:

1. The hamburger menu for the Brushes panel allows you to create a new category. Then
  2. Right-clicking on a brush allows you to move or copy it to a new category.

Thanks Walt,

Was just thinking more of a manager where you can go into to do all these adjustments rather than a menu. Completely customize the Brushes, assests, gradiets, palettes and so on. 

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Yes, that could be nicer :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Being unable to reorder the categories in the Brush panel has been an on-going gripe of mine. Affinity just tacks new brush categories to the bottom of an ever-growing list of imports and it soon becomes a jumble where I waste time hunting down categories. Photoshop allows you to drag brush categories around, helping keep them in alphabetical order. Affinity, on the other hand, just becomes alphabet soup.

I have come up with a work around, though. If things are getting disordered in your list of imported brushes, try this:

• Restore the brush panel to its default setting.  Edit>Preferences>Miscellaneous>Reset Brushes. This will clean out everything except the handful of brush categories that come with Affinity.
  • Open the Brush Panel and click on Import Brushes. This will navigate you to the folder where your brushes are stored.
  • Now, if you are as methodical as me, all your raster brushes will be neatly in one folder. If they are, Windows will have helpfully arranged them in alphabetical order. (If your brushes are here, there and everywhere in your computer, you will need to tidy them up and store them in one location).
  • Highlight all the brushes you want to import. Click the Open button.
  • Make a cup of tea (if you have a lot of brushes like me) or just watch the blue wheel spin if you'd prefer. Don't fiddle - Affinity Photo won't like that.
  • After a while, you will be advised the brushes have been imported and, hey presto, they will be in alphabetical order.
  • Its a nuisance to have to do that every time you obtain some new brushes, but its fairly painless and at least it works.

6 hours ago, ColinK said:

Its a nuisance to have to do that every time you obtain some new brushes,

At first I didn't understand what you meant but having messed about for awhile I agree that there should be an easier way to do this. Not a problem for me but it could be a show stopper for many others.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 4:45 AM, ColinK said:

Being unable to reorder the categories in the Brush panel has been an on-going gripe of mine. Affinity just tacks new brush categories to the bottom of an ever-growing list of imports and it soon becomes a jumble where I waste time hunting down categories. Photoshop allows you to drag brush categories around, helping keep them in alphabetical order. Affinity, on the other hand, just becomes alphabet soup.

I have come up with a work around, though. If things are getting disordered in your list of imported brushes, try this:

• Restore the brush panel to its default setting.  Edit>Preferences>Miscellaneous>Reset Brushes. This will clean out everything except the handful of brush categories that come with Affinity.
  • Open the Brush Panel and click on Import Brushes. This will navigate you to the folder where your brushes are stored.
  • Now, if you are as methodical as me, all your raster brushes will be neatly in one folder. If they are, Windows will have helpfully arranged them in alphabetical order. (If your brushes are here, there and everywhere in your computer, you will need to tidy them up and store them in one location).
  • Highlight all the brushes you want to import. Click the Open button.
  • Make a cup of tea (if you have a lot of brushes like me) or just watch the blue wheel spin if you'd prefer. Don't fiddle - Affinity Photo won't like that.
  • After a while, you will be advised the brushes have been imported and, hey presto, they will be in alphabetical order.
  • Its a nuisance to have to do that every time you obtain some new brushes, but its fairly painless and at least it works.

Thank you for posting this. This does work, but they still need to have a manager for brushes , assests, palettes and so. With resources growing, this needs to be addressed. Making up custom brushes from your favorites and so .

Appreciate the post.

Thanks

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I agree.  Brushbox would be great.  Alternatively, color tagging brushes in a category would be useful. 

There are so many brushes, I like to make a new category for a project and copy in the set of brushes that I think that I''ll use.  Then it would be nice to be able to have groups within the category and/or color tag brushes so I can search through the category brushes quickly.