You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Usability concern with new hyperlink feature and text frame default style

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or intended behavior, so I'll start here.

I'm playing around with the new hyperlink implementation in 1.7.0.238 on Windows. First, thanks for getting this new feature implemented so quickly. I'm sure it will please those of us who have missed it.

I did these steps in a new document:

1. Created a few pages.
  2. On one page I drew a Text Frame and added some text without specifying any style information in the Context menubar. I repeated that on another page.
  3. I selected some text in one of the frames, and marked it as an anchor (Text > Interactive > Insert Anchor).
  4. I selected some text in the other frame, and marked it as an "anchor" hyperlink to the text in step 3 (Text > Interactive > Insert Hyperlink), and in the dialog left the Character Style at the default of Hyperlink.

All of the above worked as I expected.

I then created another Text Frame, typed some text, and it came out in the Hyperlink style, in blue. The default style for my new Text Frame was now Hyperlink, and the default fill was blue.

From a usability perspective, I don't think that marking something as a hyperlink should change the default settings for future text or text frames.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, that fill came in as part of the Hyperlink style that I chose from the Insert Hyperlink dialog.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

AdamW confirmed to me that they noticed this today in their internal testing, too, and they're looking into it.

-- Walt
PC:

Isn't this a result of the default behaviour of 'sticky' styles? If you apply styles to text and then draw a new text box, the style remains selected.

I can see some situations where sticky styles would be a convenient time saver, but I find it more of a hindrance than a help as I need to manually check that no unwanted styles are selected when making new text frames. This is especially inconvenient when the document has many styles, as you have to scroll down to the bottom of the list to check that no unwanted character styles are being applied.

Perhaps a preference option for 'New text frames have default styling' would solve this.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

I haven't tried in this specific case, but simply clicking on the Revert Defaults button (with a Text Frame detected) should clear the styling.

But the question is, should that be necessary and will it cause some other workflow issue.

-- Walt
PC:

That's useful, thanks. And it does work for the hyperlink styling. The option for new text frames to automatically have default styling would still be useful (or even desirable as the default option).

There is a glitch with the Revert defaults button: After clicking the button, the style selected in the Text Styles list doesn't change to No Style until you start typing.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

Yes, exactly this. (Internal) discussion is on-going.

Since the internal discussion on styles is ongoing, can I cheekily point you to this thread where there is a discussion about changes to the way that style information is displayed.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/70947-initial-words-sticking-with-first-font-applied/

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.